Manager, Structures Manufacturing Engineering
We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology.
Overall, this team is critical to the development and initial builds of Terran R. This team pulls together the efforts of design, additive, vehicle, and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will drive the product from design concept through the build to structural acceptance test, ensuring the team can move fast while still producing high quality, well understood products.
What you’ll do:
The Structures Manufacturing team is responsible for working alongside the vehicle design and additive teams to develop Terran R primary structures, while also leading the charge on mechanical assembly. We are looking for a Manager, Structures Manufacturing Engineering to lead the team owning the following scope: primary structure design for manufacturing, build flow planning, large-scale part logistics, tooling design, conceptualizing & sourcing, fast-paced issue dispositions, fabrication manufacturing, equipment trades and downselection, trim/drill operations, joining/welding operations, and mechanical assembly planning and execution. This candidate will have the opportunity to set the tone for structures manufacturing at Relativity by trailblazing and defining the manufacturing development strategy for Terran-R. The candidate will play a critical role in both the introduction and scaling of Relativity’s vehicle manufacturing line. We are seeking a highly motivated, technical, and well-rounded individual to lead the front on bringing up Terran-R’s primary structures.
- Be the structures manufacturing build champion for the company.
- Lead a highly talented team of structures manufacturing engineers (fabrication and mechanical assembly-focused) responsible for the build and integration of our Terran-R primary structures.
- Accountable for the successful introduction and commissioning of Terran-R’s barrel fabrication and friction stir welding stations. This will involve project managing internally amongst the RE, ME, Supply Chain, Weld Engineering, M&P, Tooling, and Production teams. In addition, this will be a highly external-facing role focused on vendor management.
- Define and drive a manufacturing strategy that supports a rapid design-manufacturing iteration loop and enables a swift transition to high-volume for Terran-R.
- Lead and guide the ME’s from concept design through first build. This will involve providing conceptual design-for-manufacturing support and following the entire development process through to tooling design and procurement, process development, prototype builds, and initial production.
- Support conceptual and detailed design of major tooling assemblies alongside tooling engineering. Support procurement, commissioning, and initial trial builds, ensuring tooling is delivered on time and with the right capabilities.
- Support the shop floor through live issue resolution and provide upstream feedback as we innovate the next generation of manufacturing technology.
- Drive the end-to-end part movement CONOPS alongside the team, making sure solutions adhere to EHS and OSHA standards. This will involve guidance of lift tool design, planning, and personnel access trades.
- Monitor large scale part movements and ensure safety as well as clear and concise direction.
- Provide Design for Manufacturing feedback to both the additive and structures teams as the designs are generated and through the first builds upstream.
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and Additive Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Generate the build order, schedule, and come up with creative ways to stay on track.
- Review work instructions, specifications, and best practices across multiple high-fidelity processes to drive quality improvements. Standardize processes across the manufacturing team. Participate in technician training initiatives in tandem with standardized processes.
- Build, develop, and structure the manufacturing team through hiring, mentorship, and a constant feedback loop
What you need to know:
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 7+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally and leading teams to build large scope first article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has an ability to drive and influence simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You have a track record of being hands-on, and you know when to toggle between zooming in and zooming out.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience formally leading or managing a professional team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment as a manufacturing engineer.
- Extensive experience managing a highly complex project—equipment design and bring-up, first article build, etc.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding (fusion and friction stir welding), machining, trim and drill operations, mechanical fastening and torquing operations, mating operations, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT, subassembly build, etc.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural assemblies.
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article assembly.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing fundamentals, including but not limited to: GD&T, mBOM architecting, process plans and work order development, ERP/MES development, issue ticket & resolutions, demand planning, MRP, and fulfillment.
- Experience designing tooling or owning tooling development as a manufacturing representative, particularly for welding (fusion and friction stir welding) and trim/drill operations
Nice to haves but not required:
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- A strong sense of self-awareness, accountability, and ability to influence others outside of your organization.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing execution.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?