Senior Materials and Processes Engineer, Propulsion
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials and Processes Engineering Team plays a crucial role in this mission by evaluating and improving the materials that make our rockets. We are searching for a Materials Engineer, Propulsion who will function as a Materials Engineering focal point for key Terran-R propulsion and laser powder bed fusion initiatives.
What you’ll do:
- Function as an M&P focal for key Terran-R propulsion and laser powder bed fusion initiatives
- Qualify laser powder bed fusion and associated post-print processes for propulsion activities
- Drive L-PBF part and feature qualification activities
- Develop, implement, and maintain technical specifications and engineering standards
- Drive statistically-driven experimental design and process improvement campaigns
- Interface with:
- Materials engineering staff to identify, define, and fill technology gaps
- Laboratory staff to characterize materials and processes
- Designers to support materials selection, allowables development, and analysis
- Process/MFG engineering to improve processes, troubleshoot issues and facilitate operations
- Quality assurance to facilitate specification compliance validation
- Product engineering to perform failure analysis and root cause and corrective action campaigns
- Leadership to elevate risks and overcome roadblocks
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience relevant to the competencies listed below
- A strong commitment to accountability, collaboration, and execution
- A desire to establish and foster strong interdisciplinary relationships across the company
- An authentic, introspective, and inclusive mindset towards technical, interpersonal, and team growth and development
Nice to haves but not required:
- Targeted experience with titanium alloy systems
- General experience with Ni-based superalloys, refractories, and copper alloy systems
- Experience performing material and part qualifications for laser powder bed fusion systems
- Prior work with general propulsion hardware M&P activities, such as material selection, qualification, and failure analysis
- Knowledge of surface modification processes and coatings relevant to propulsion applications
- Solid background in statistical experimental design and design allowable calculation methodology
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace
Something looks off?