Senior Ground Support Engineer (Structures)
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Dev Test team is responsible for all hazardous testing in our Long Beach facilities. We use our breadth of experience and collaborative engineering approach to support everything from very large structural tests to precise valve actuation. To that end, we design, build, and operate all test assets from initial concept to test execution. If you enjoy working on a multi-disciplinary team with a broad mandate and want to put hands on hardware, then this is the team for you.
What you’ll do:
As a Sr Structures Engineer on the Dev Test team, you will be responsible for the design, fabrication, and activation of test stands and fixtures for our Terran R launch vehicle. Based in Long Beach, our engineers are responsible for the full design cycle on projects ranging from fast and temporary to permanent, long-term infrastructure. You will partner with many other teams including Vehicle Design, Additive, Infrastructure, and Manufacturing to create development and production level test assets. Your primary duties will include:
- Design and analysis of static and/or dynamic test stands
- Creation of fabrication drawings, procurement, and project management
- Assembly, commissioning, and operation of test stands
You should be an expert in your field, able to help us solve new and wide-ranging challenges. While previous aerospace experience is not required, you should be familiar with the mechanical design and analysis process for highly-loaded components.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field
- 4+ years of experience designing, analyzing, and building metallic structures.
- Experience with the complete design cycle from requirements generation to functional product
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and drafting, including expert knowledge of GD&T
- Thorough understanding of engineering fundamentals and their application
- Demonstrated experience with structural analysis using NASTRAN or similar tools
- Track record of delivering complex and innovative projects on time and on budget.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Previous design experience with weld size analysis
- Hands-on experience with metalworking, welding, hydraulics, manufacturing, etc.
- Experience operating construction equipment (forklift, telehandler, excavator, boom crane, etc)
- Ability to automate workflows using Python, VBA, etc.
- Willing to work at heights, in confined spaces, in a dirty environment, and away from your desk.
- No previous aerospace experience is required for this position.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace