Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer II, Combustion Devices
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology. The Propulsion Manufacturing team is responsible for manufacturing, testing components and integrating them to our Aeon-R engines.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for a talented Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer who will contribute to the development of Aeon-R hardware and manufacturing processes for the Terran-R vehicle. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required. As a Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer, you will own and develop the processes for fabricating, testing, and delivering critical Aeon-R hardware and subassemblies. With a focus toward manufacturability and integration, you will serve as the main point-of-contact between the manufacturing and design teams as we develop and optimize Aeon-R hardware, ensuring as-built hardware meets all aspects of the intended design. You will project manage a wide variety of hardware in varying states of their manufacturing lifecycle. You will develop processes and procedures for post-processing of 3D printed parts and recommend design adaptations to improve reliability and throughput. You have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to 3D printed and machined components.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related technical field
- 3+ years of relevant hands-on product manufacturing experience
- Product Manufacturing Experience
- Manufacturing Process Experience: Fluids Testing, Machining, Additive
- Project Management: Leadership, Scheduling, Risk Management, & Communication
- Strong communication skills, and ability to write detailed work instructions and process plans
- Strong hands-on acumen with hardware
- Ability to effectively investigate, resolve and screen hardware non-conformances
- Ability to drive failure investigation efforts, root cause analysis and implementation of corrective action(s)
- Ability to work with and train technicians
- Knowledge of general assembly and test procedures, including tolerance stack-up analysis, structural proof testing and pressurized leak checks
- Experience with GD&T and industry specifications
- Experience with CAD and analysis tools including tool design
- Propel Forward: Ability to thrive in the presence of ambiguity and be able to make informed decisions to continually drive forward progress
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup, high-mix manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated track record of delivering results leading complex manufacturing development projects from conceptual development through qualification / early production
- Knowledge of Typical Materials for High Temp Aerospace Applications
- Experience working on a Propulsion Engine development program
- Experience working with and Vendor / Supplier Management
- Experience with team building and leading projects (directly and cross-functionally)
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace