A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space is currently deep in manufacturing trades and process development for Terran R, our next generation, fully re-useable rocket. This team has a wide variety of responsibilities—from determining the most efficient factory floor layout, to developing and implementing complex tooling and processes, and even interfacing with the vehicle engineering team to heavily influence the design of the rocket. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology.
The Integration team at Relativity Space pulls together the efforts of all other vehicle and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will build best in class manufacturing, test, and quality control processes to keep our team moving fast while still producing high quality, well understood products. Overall, this team is critical to the development and initial builds of Terran R.
What you’ll do:
The Integration Engineers will be responsible for taking propulsion, electrical, and structural piece parts or subassemblies and integrating them into fully functional verified rocket stages—ready for test or flight. The Integration Engineering team will drive efforts to establish the manufacturing, business practices, and processes necessary to accomplish that goal. Working alongside discipline-specific engineers, the Integration team will be the focal points for the first build and test vehicle campaign.
To be successful in this role, you need to be a self-starter that is able to thrive in ambiguity, identify problems and quickly resolve them, and provide definition to the previously undefined. You should have a commitment to quality and the discipline required to achieve it. You will set the tone for how mBOM’s are architected and work orders are written, how issues on the floor are addressed, and how test operations are run on the vehicle. You will be a trail blazer for the company, so you need to be self-motivated and able to influence both Engineering and Production in order to effectively implement your plans. You will need to be comfortable with desk work such as writing work instructions and analyzing test data as well as hands on work setting up work cells, assembling hardware and running test operations. You should be comfortable operating and troubleshooting complicated systems comprised of mechanical hardware, electronic hardware, and software.
- Own a major integrated assembly and its child subassemblies from design release through Integration to shipment—lay out the build and test flow to ensure an efficient, high-quality product flow capable of scaling with time
- Drive the assembly’s first integration effort through design integration, assembly sequencing, mBOM development, and build and test work order creation
- Establish the assembly’s station within the inaugural work cell by considering assembly operations, tooling and capital equipment requirements, and rate targets
- Manage the assembly build, integration, and non-reactive testing of the world's first 3D printed rocket, delivering flight ready stages to the test and launch sites
- Author test procedures and act as test conductor to verify as-installed hardware health and build integrity
- Assist with developing the business tools and processes that will be used to manufacture the first launch vehicle. In parallel, help to define and pilot the long-term ERP, MES, and QMS solutions that will enable high-quality, efficient vehicle manufacturing.
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and Factory Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be met
- Leverage software and automation to rapidly integrate and check out stages while maintaining an accurate record of the as-planned and as-built configurations
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience building and testing hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience authoring work instructions and/or test procedures to build and checkout interdisciplinary structural and fluid assemblies.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel to get the highest quality output.
- Working knowledge of subsystems including structures, high pressure gas systems, and avionics.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: trim and drill operations, LOX cleanliness, tube bending, COPV handling and testing, leak checking, sensor check-outs, integrated testing, mating operations, lifting or crane operations, tool design and fab, subassembly build, etc.
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience transitioning products from prototype to mass production
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing and test execution
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
- Experience planning and test conducting hazardous operations.
- Experience in leading, executing, and managing projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge into owning tooling development as a manufacturing representative, particularly for integration access and serviceability.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace