Sr Materials & Processes Engineer, Structural Composites
At Relativity Space, we have two audacious goals: to build the next great commercial launch company with Terran R and to become America's leading force in additive manufacturing innovation. Both contribute to our long-term vision of creating humanity’s industrial base on Mars, paving the way for interplanetary life to expand the possibilities of the human experience. This journey begins right here on Earth – where we design, build, and fly rockets to deliver customer payloads to orbit. Terran R, our medium-to-heavy lift reusable rocket, fulfills the growing demand for launch capacity, thanks to our iterative approach that accelerates design, testing, and development while minimizing costs. While our groundbreaking research and development in 3D printing pushes the boundaries of large-scale additive manufacturing.
Your journey with us is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to shape the future of aerospace technology, additive manufacturing, and the human experience alongside a community of passionate, creative individuals. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. The Materials & Processes (M&P) Engineering Team is responsible for researching, selecting, developing, analyzing, qualifying, implementing, and troubleshooting material-process systems across the entire company. We are searching for a Metallics M&P Engineer to serve as the focal for our structural composites on the Terran-R vehicle.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a responsible M&P engineer for structural composites on the Terran-R vehicle
- Research, trade, and select conventional and novel materials and processes for various demanding applications
- Identify qualification criteria, test envelopes, and characterization campaigns
- Author, implement, and maintain M&P requirements, technical specifications, and engineering work standards
- Develop, control, and improve special processes
- Drive statistically driven experimental design and process control initiatives
- Interface with:
- Materials engineering staff to identify, define, and fill technology gaps
- Laboratory staff to characterize materials and processes
- Designers to drive materials selection, allowables development, and detailed analysis
- Manufacturing engineering to control processes, troubleshoot issues and facilitate operations
- Quality assurance to disposition non-conformances and implement RCCAs
- Supply chain to specify vendor requirements, audit criteria, and process controls
- Product engineering to perform failure analysis and root cause and corrective action campaigns
- Leadership to elevate risks and overcome roadblocks
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science or engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience relevant to the competencies listed below that demonstrate a strong foundation of materials science and engineering principles
- A commitment to accountability, collaboration, and execution
- A desire to establish and foster strong interdisciplinary relationships across the company
- An authentic, introspective, and inclusive mindset towards technical, interpersonal, and team growth and development
- (Leveling is flexible – please see other posting levels for expectations)
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with carbon fiber reinforced structural composite material and process systems in launch vehicle or similar aerospace applications
- Prior knowledge of composite design and allowables development (e.g. CMH-17)
- Understanding of composite joining techniques, inspection processes, and finishing techniques
- Familiarity with key M&P engineering disciplines, such as fracture mechanics, fluid and environmental compatibility, descriptive & inferential statistics, and failure analysis
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace