Marketing & Communications
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2023
We're building safety-enhancing technology for aviation that will save lives. Automated aviation systems will enable a future where air transportation is safer, more convenient and fundamentally transformative to the way goods — and eventually people — move around the planet. We are a team of mission-driven engineers with experience across aerospace, robotics and self-driving cars working to make this future a reality.
As a Communications Engineer at Reliable Robotics, you will be a part of the Avionics Hardware team and will report to the Avionics Hardware Manager. The Avionics Hardware Team is the group responsible for designing, selecting, verifying, integrating, and certifying avionics and electrical components and systems to automate unmanned aircraft under stringent civil aviation standards. The Communications Engineer role focuses on developing reliable and cost-efficient data link systems that enable the safe remote operation of unmanned aircraft.
In your role as Communications Engineer you will develop robust digital communication links that provide voice and data services for unmanned aircraft systems that operate in the U.S. National Airspace. You will support the design of satellite and terrestrial RF communication systems and be responsible for the integration and testing of those systems into the Reliable Robotics expanding fleet of autonomous aircraft and ground communication networks. This is an interdisciplinary role where you will work closely with the avionics, software, and operations teams to facilitate a new generation of communication systems for autonomy in civil aviation.
Basic Success Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in electrical engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, space systems operations, or related discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience in the design, integration, and testing of data links for remote operated systems (UAVs, spacecraft, etc)
- Familiarity with RF test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Familiarity with Python and/or Matlab with a focus on data analysis applications
- Demonstrated self starter with the ability to troubleshoot and solve technical problems pertaining to radio frequency communication networks
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally across multiple organizations
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, space systems operations, or related discipline
- Experience with integration and test of satellite radio communication systems and/or distributed communication networks
- Significant experience working with remote operated systems (UAVs, spacecraft, etc)
- Proficient in object oriented programming such as C++ or C#
- Experience with test automation with a focus on RF hardware and/or systems
- Experience with safety-critical software engineering processes
- Professional flight experience or in-depth understanding of operations in the National Airspace System
- Demonstrated understanding of aviation digital data link technologies (e.g. CPDLC)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This role is essential to the core mission of deploying civil unmanned aircraft systems. You will be on the frontier of integrating remote operation capability in the national airspace through the development of safe and reliable communication links that can operate everywhere.
This role will be on-site at our headquarters in Mountain View, CA.
The estimated salary range for this position is $110,000 to $162,500/annual salary + cash and stock option awards + benefits. At Reliable Robotics, we strive to provide competitive and rewarding compensation based on experience and expertise, as well as market conditions, location, and pay equity.
In addition to base compensation, Reliable Robotics offers stock options, employee medical, 401k contribution, great co-workers and a casual work environment.
Reliable Robotics does not presently sponsor candidates for employment visas. In order to comply with export control regulations applicable to our technology and products, all candidates for this position must reside in the United States and be “U.S. persons” for purposes of the Export Administration Regulations (i.e., a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as refugees or granted asylum in the U.S.) or otherwise eligible to access our technologies without an export license.
At Reliable Robotics, our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or medical conditions, national origin, military or veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment and promotion is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org