Federal Deployment Strategist, Defense
Scale is a rapidly-growing, venture-backed Series E startup that is changing the way organizations around the world build AI applications. We’re looking for a strong business development (BD) lead with experience winning large U.S. government contracts to help us offer our AI/ML products to U.S. government agencies. This role will be deeply involved in overall strategy, help grow Scale’s established federal business, and have a massive impact on the adoption of cutting-edge AI/ML technologies for the nation.
Scale is a vital part of bringing ML-enabled technologies to U.S. government missions. Our U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) customer base is growing exponentially, and you’ll be on the front lines ensuring we’re able to effectively field AI/ML in support of National Security. Our Deployment Strategists identify key customers within our strategic DoD accounts (like the Army) and work closely with Scale Solution Engineers (SEs) to align on the right solutions and technical approaches needed to address existing requirements and win work. Deployment Strategists also partner with DoD end-users to identify and co-design solutions for emerging requirements.
- High-fidelity requirement and relationship mapping within target Army customer offices to identify opportunities for Scale’s business and offerings
- Pursue those opportunities and provide input/feedback to our federal GTM strategy
- Accurately forecast and close high dollar-value opportunities
- Be involved in everything from writing RFPs to directly pitching key stakeholders on what Scale can offer
- Leverage technical teams and other key stakeholders across the executive level to help discuss emerging trends in AI/ML
- Partner with Scale SEs to deliver customer pilots according to requirements agreed by the customer
- Evangelize Scale and interact with federal customers at events
Ideally you'd have:
- Minimum 5-10+ years experience in an Defense-focused technical sales or consulting role
- Proven track record closing high-value, multi-year deals (more than $10M)
- Prior experience with the DoD as a civil servant (GS-13/14+), service member (O3/4+), or consultant
- Established relationships or connections within Army accounts
- Experience in AI/ML or with a highly technical product and team
- A strong desire to roll up your sleeves and help build a business in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel 20-30% of the time
- Eligibility for a Secret security clearance is required; an active Top Secret clearance is strongly preferred
- Based in the National Capitol Region, with the ability to work out of Scale’s D.C. office 2-3 days a week
- Intellectually curious
- High velocity
The base salary range for this full-time position in our hub location of Washington, DC is $162,000 - $192,000. Compensation packages at Scale include base salary, equity, and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position, determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, interview performance, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Scale employees are also granted Stock Options that are awarded upon board of director approval. You’ll also receive benefits including, but not limited to: Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, a learning and development stipend, and generous PTO. Additionally, this role may be eligible for additional benefits such as a commuter stipend.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, Meta, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We’ve recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
PLEASE NOTE: We collect, retain and use personal data for our professional business purposes, including notifying you of job opportunities that may be of interest and sharing with our affiliates. We limit the personal data we collect to that which we believe is appropriate and necessary to manage applicants’ needs, provide our services, and comply with applicable laws. Any information we collect in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our internal policies and programs designed to protect personal data.