Software Test Engineer II
Sierra Space—based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL—designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
The Software Test Engineer works under the Flight Software Test Team and reports to the Test, Integration, and Labs (TIL) Lead. The Software Test Engineer is responsible for developing Dream Chaser software test inputs (test cases, code/scripts, and procedures), executing software tests, and producing test output products (test logs, test analyses, automated test results). Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Review and analyze software design descriptions, ICDs, and requirements in coordination with development teams
- Develop detailed test descriptions and conduct peer reviews
- Develop and review software code, specifically automated Python test scripts to be leveraged in the Continuous Integration environment
- Investigate, create, and close software bugs and test product bugs
- Ensure that software standards are met and that all test artifacts adhere to Sierra Space standards
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other related discipline and typically 2 or more years of relevant experience
- Related experience may be considered in lieu of required education
- A higher-level degree may substitute for experience
- Experience with Computer Aided Engineering tools
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Familiarity working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Understanding of industry standard software languages such as C, C#, C++, HTML, Java, Python, and Bash
- Embedded software test experience
- Software development for test experience – test descriptions, test code, test procedures
- Skilled in Python test script development
- Test data analysis and root-cause analysis experience
- Excellent communications skills
- Experience with Linux/Unix command line interfaces
- Experience analyzing bus data and network communication protocols such as MIL-STD-1553
- Test automation and continuous integration experience
- Experience with test management tools for requirements tracking, test case tracking, test code reviews, test pipeline configuration and execution, and automated test results
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Agile/Scrum, Waterfall, and Spiral
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.