R&D Operations Engineer
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
As a R&D Operations Engineer you will develop and sustain the capabilities necessary to enable our customers to realize the advantages of Sila’s technology in real-world cells.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design, develop, and implement improvements to the materials synthesis processes in the R&D and prototype line to increase their safety, capacity and quality
- Work collaboratively with technicians, engineers, and scientists to troubleshoot, correct, and prevent issues
- Develop and implement quality control measures to ensure synthesized material meets or exceeds customer standards
- Address material quality issues and implement corrective actions
- Mentor, train, coach, and support technicians
- Improve data collection and organization; analyze data to anticipate potential problems and opportunities
- Scope, plan and integrate new equipment and processes, improving their performance, output and yield
- Maintain detailed documentation of manufacturing processes, changes, and improvements
- Generate reports on process performance, efficiency, and quality metrics for management review
- Assist in training operators on new processes and equipment
- Invest in our company values and vision and champion them as we grow
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Hands-on industrial laboratory or manufacturing experience
- Demonstrated ability to learn new systems and improve them
- Collaborative and self-motivated working style
- Proficiency in data collection and analysis
- Ability to carefully plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Understanding of materials
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
The starting base pay for this role is between $112,000 and $142,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.