Lead Production Engineer (Starship Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD PRODUCTION ENGINEER (STARSHIP AVIONICS)
The Starship program’s goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme commitment to cost reduction, novel process definition, and rapid iteration. As the Starship Avionics manufacturing strategy evolves to support these goals, we must co-design our product and factory to drive improvements through the design phase, supply chain, and operations. We are actively looking for candidates that can help lead a team of production engineers to drive improvement to our electro-mechanical build and test line.
This position requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of design for manufacturability, tooling creation, and shop floor optimization, with the desire and capability to get hands-on with new challenges to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Generate and maintain team workflows, technical standards, KPIs, and resource loading
- Manage performance of 6+ engineers. Facilitate technical growth in DFM analysis, process definition/planning, tooling design, new product introduction processes, and process control
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between the hardware design team, production engineering, and floor technicians
- Participate in design reviews acting as an expert in avionics design for testability, design for manufacturability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, and quality control
- Drive optimization of manufacturing and test procedures for flight acceptance. Prepare process capability and capacity analysis using basic six sigma elements
- Work for a production environment with a focus on design for manufacturability and automation
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, and self-direction
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction by collaborating with teams, leading projects, and continuously driving improvements in production
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 3+ years of experience in the design and/or production of electro-mechanical systems
- 1+ years of direct leadership experience or project leadership scope
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in mechanical, electrical, or industrial engineering
- Strong manufacturing fundamentals including GD&T, DFM, scheduling, and knowledge of avionics manufacturing processes (PCB fabrication, SMT, laser cutting, waterjet, CNC, etc.)
- Experience with database manipulation (SQL) and dashboard creation
- Experience in facility and line layouts, factory optimization, capital equipment, and lean principles
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others across organizational lines
- Experience working both autonomously and as a team in a highly demanding environment
- Strong demonstrated capability in CAD, mechanism design, and prototyping
- Knowledge of and experience in selecting manufacturing methods for electro-mechanical parts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to make presentations to engineering, team members, internal customers, and management
- Must be willing to support extended hours and weekends when necessary to support launch and critical project timelines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Lead Production Engineer/Lead: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?