Chemical Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CHEMICAL ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to those that need it most. We design, build, and launch the world's largest and most advanced satellite constellation that is capable of delivering high-speed internet to even the most remote locations. And while our hardware and network are incredibly advanced, we keep the end-user experience impressively simple - our customers have internet within 10 minutes of unboxing.
As a Chemical Engineer on Starlink, you will spearhead state of the art production processes for our printed circuit boards (PCBs). You will design and implement environmentally friendly chemical recycling strategies, develop highly capable processes for use in mass production, and become a multi-disciplinary expert in PCB fabrication. Your work will form the backbone for millions of next generation consumer facing devices that we ship directly to customers and businesses all over the world. From private homes, RVs, planes, or boats, this team plays an instrumental role in leveling the playing field for high-speed connectivity. You will own various PCB production processes, from initial machine design to running hands-on process DOEs, and will interact regularly with senior leadership during critical design phases.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining new and/or improved manufacturing processes, equipment, technologies, and facilities. Examples could include metal plating lines, copper etching lines, direct or electroless metallization lines, water and chemical waste treatment, plasma etching systems, etc.
- Analyze production processes and machinery from a first principles, physics-based approach.
- Develop experiments to diagnose and correct manufacturing problems, utilizing robust DOE and statistical methodologies. Perform defect characterization and analysis to determine root cause and develop action plans to improve yields.
- Develop project plans, budgets, and cost/benefit analysis for implementation of new processes or machines.
- Own and perform machine activation and testing with a small team of engineers and technicians.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 1+ years of experience with chemical engineering intensive project (internship or project team experience is applicable).
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, environmental or related technical discipline.
- 2+ years of professional experience in chemical engineering design/analysis/system implementation.
- Hands-on experience working with complex fluid or mechanical based production systems in a professional setting.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing and scaling to high volume as part of a cross-functional team.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel frequently for work, potentially for extended periods of time during machine buyoffs and startup.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Chemical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Chemical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?