RF Test Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF TEST ENGINEER
As an RF Test Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to design and develop test systems for all the RF systems on our rockets and spacecraft. This includes but is not limited to: communication systems, GPS, RADAR, antennas, amplifiers, and wide range of analog and digital circuit boards with RF signal conditioning. You will be expected to create new test systems from the ground up, and your work will be critical to the reliability, communication, and safety of our vehicles. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload.
- Design and troubleshoot RF (UHF, S-Band, X, Ka, or Ku bands) test setups and associated support equipment to execute testing strategies
- Write automation software in Python to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation systems
- Work closely with and consistently provide feedback to responsible design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and test lab teams to drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield
- Root-cause test failures to ensure issues are understood and develop and implement mitigations as part of a process of continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or physics
- 2+ years of experience with RF systems
- Experience with object-oriented programming
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an RF engineering discipline
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience with electronic components, wire harnesses, and electrical test equipment (spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Understanding of RF schematics and RF electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as QPSK, APSK and QAM
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC
- Experience qualifying RF products for aerospace capabilities
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
RF Test Engineer/Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
RF Test Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?