Sr. Electrical Test Engineer (Starship Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ELECTRICAL TEST ENGINEER (STARSHIP AVIONICS)
As a member of the Avionics Test group, you will have the unique opportunity to design and develop test systems for all the electronic hardware and software on our rockets and spacecraft. This includes but is not limited to: flight computers, power conversion units, analog and digital circuit boards, FPGA’s, and communication system units. You will be expected to create new test systems from the ground up, and your work will be the last line of defense before our vehicles get shipped out the door. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload.
- Develop test solutions for in-house developed avionics hardware products which will fly to space
- Own the full development cycle of multiple test systems from requirements through to deployment
- Develop modular and reusable automated test architectures which can efficiently be deployed across multiple product lines
- Write automation software in Python to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation systems
- Work closely with and consistently provide feedback to electrical design engineers, firmware engineers, manufacturing engineers, and test lab teams to drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield
- Root-cause test failures to ensure issues are understood and develop and implement mitigations as part of a process of continuous improvement
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers and technicians
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or physics
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- 5+ years of professional experience with hardware development or electronics test engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Working knowledge developing functional test plans from product requirements and analysis of schematics
- Experience developing object oriented software in Python
- Experience working with firmware engineers to develop self-test functionality for embedded systems
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage
- Experience automating test equipment and measurement techniques to verify and validate product requirements
- Understanding of metrology, sources of measurement error, and uncertainty analysis
- Exposure to SMT lines and electronics manufacturing
- Familiarity with National Instruments platforms including DAQmx, PXI, and cRIO
- Extensive understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and sensors including DMMs, DAQ, power supplies, oscilloscopes, DIO, GPIB, USB, Serial-422, VISA, UDP, GigE, SPI, switch technologies and topologies, accelerometers, RTDs, thermocouples, and 4-20mA sensors
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Electrical Test Engineer/Senior: $130,000.00 - $180,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?