Sr. CAD Engineer (Silicon Engineering)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. EDA ENGINEER (SILICON ENGINEERING)
We’re looking for an experienced CAD Engineer to help us strengthen our internal chip development for the Starlink program. You will partner with and support our team of highly motivated silicon engineers to develop IC design tools and develop process design kits (PDKs). This role can be adapted to the interests of the candidate, either as a dedicated design tools engineering role or as a mixture of both design and tool development.
- Work with our in-house IC design teams and corporate IT to develop, maintain and support a company-wide electronic design automation (EDA) and compute system infrastructure
- Work closely with semiconductor foundries on installation, maintenance and development of process design kits (PDKs)
- Work closely with the EDA tool vendors (Cadence, Mentor, Synopsys, etc.) to improve design methodology and design flow
- Work with the EDA vendors on trials of new design tools, perform evaluation and provide training and guidance to the design teams
- Work with IT on planning, installation and configuration of high-performance compute (HPC) clusters. Develop, maintain and support various scripts and tools used by designers to submit jobs to HPC scheduled clusters
- Develop, maintain and support digital design verification, synthesis, power simulation, and regressions
- Provide general direct user support and system administration assistance to users, within a mixed Windows and Linux computing environment, including assistance with the installation and setup of EDA software tools
- Assist with the setup, maintenance and support of configuration management systems (e.g., Cliosoft, Perforce), for Linux and Windows users
- As skills permit work embedded with the design teams on the actual chip development and support with layout, DRC, LVS, simulations and/or circuit design tasks
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science or computer engineering
- 5+ years of experience in the field of EDA-CAD solutions for CMOS digital and/or RF solutions
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science or computer engineering
- Hands on analog, mixed signal or digital IC design engineering experience
- Broad IT and shell scripting knowledge
- Broad knowledge of foundry design kits and skill code expertise
- Proficiency with Linux and Windows computer systems and networks for EDA-CAD and general applications (EDA-CAD systems administration)
- Proficiency in writing Linux shell scripts and general programming (e.g., Perl, shell, TCL and/or Python)
- Familiarity with compute server grid systems and server load balancing software
- Familiarity with analog and RF EDA software such as Mentor, Keysight-ADS, AWR-MWO, Ansys-HFSS (developing and maintaining custom user infrastructure)
- Familiarity with synthesis, simulation, verification, and regression tools. Familiarity with tools from Cadence and Synopsys or Mentor
- Excellent team work, communication and interpersonal skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
CAD Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?