Sr. Software Engineer, Data (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, DATA (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads.
The Starshield software team is building highly reliable in-space mesh networks, designing secure systems to guarantee access to space, designing next-gen communication and sensing software, and more. Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - we want our engineers to bring fresh ideas from all areas. We look for engineers who love solving problems and seek to make an impact on an inspiring mission. As we expand this team, we're looking for versatile, motivated, and collaborative engineers.
Our team is involved in designing the vehicle systems at every phase of development. We build tools that enable us to work more efficiently, and that help us build software systems that are secure, reliable, and autonomous. Our software engineers are responsible for the life cycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and operational support.
- Own software from beginning to end: identify requirements, dev, test, deploy, and operate
- Build ground-based software systems that ingest, transform, and store data
- Apply data analytics, models, and techniques to data products created by space vehicles
- Create catalogs of data and tools that can be used by you and other teams to perform analytics
- Fuse data from multiple sources to create usable information
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, physics, mathematics, or a STEM discipline and 4+ years of professional experience in data engineering; OR 6+ years of professional experience in data engineering in lieu of a degree
- Built solutions with object oriented software languages including C#, Java, Python, or C++
- Built solutions with HDFS, HBase, or other storage technology
- Active Secret, Top Secret, Top Secret SCI, or DOE Level Q clearance
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional experience in analytics, data science, or machine learning
- Experience using Spark, Presto, Flink, or Snowflake
- Built solutions with Parquet, or similar storage formats
- Knowledge of Kubernetes
- Built solutions with in-stream data processing of structured and semi-structured data
- Experience building predictive models and machine learning pipelines (clustering analysis, prediction, anomaly detection)
- C++ experience
- Developed analysis techniques for data fusion or sensor fusion applications
- Experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- Understanding of Linux environments and open source tools
- Experience handling large (TB+) datasets
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
- An active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Data Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?