Integration Engineer, Network & Mission Systems (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
INTEGRATION ENGINEER, NETWORK AND MISSION SYSTEMS (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads.
As a member of our Mission Management team, you will help tackle new technical problems from initial requirements verification through rapid prototyping, integrated test, and operational deployment. You’ll contribute to the performance and execution of satellite programs while specifically focusing on the ground systems that drive, manage, and provide user insight into those programs. Based on customer requirements and SpaceX’s system capabilities, you’ll develop system specifications and interface control documentation. This work will cover a number of technical disciplines including satellite command and control, space-to-ground communication, operational planning, data processing, networking concepts and technologies, and the secure implementation and execution of each of these discipline areas. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter and is hungry to do work that matters.
- Own the design, development, and deployment of critical infrastructure for government satellite programs.
- Work as the primary customer interface for coordinating and deploying ground systems.
- Analyze system performance against mission design parameters.
- Coordinate with customers to develop concise and actionable requirements.
- Guide internal technical teams through system implementation to ensure requirements are met.
- Collaborate with subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success.
- Assist with ground segment architecture design.
- Plan for, and execute, the build-out of accredited and operational systems and facilities supporting space vehicle operations globally.
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of project schedules and regularly report modifications to customers.
- Coordinate between different organizations and agencies as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (e.g. engineering, computer science, information technology, physics, math).
- Technical project management experience.
- 1+ years of technical project management, working hands-on with hardware or software technical projects.
- Technical understanding of all layers of information technology (e.g. datacenter hardware and build out, operating systems, application deployment and maintenance).
- Familiarity with cloud environments and infrastructure, ideally with experience designing and building microservice-based software.
- Experience with Layer 1 infrastructure deployment and/or experience working in third-party data centers.
- Demonstrated success with projects across multiple technical and non-technical disciplines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with direct experience negotiating technical deliverables or scope.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers, balancing their varying needs and desires.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere.
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance preferred. Must be willing to pursue a clearance if not already cleared. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to support critical milestones or operations shifts. Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices, customer locations, and remote ground sites as needed.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mission Integration Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mission Integration Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?