Cook - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
COOK – TEMPORARY POSITION
Cook is an entry level line cook position for individuals who are familiar with basic cooking principals and techniques, have a firm understanding of all basic food safety principles, and have the ability to identify and utilize all standard cooking equipment. Daily tasks will be focused on food preparation set up, and operation of a station at one of our various food outlets according to leadership’s specifications. The cook I position supports SpaceX’s success by providing quality food options that boost morale and productivity.
- Set up, work, and maintain a clean and safe work station
- Complete daily prep tasks
- Help the team meet time and quality standards set by supervisor
- Cook and plate completed dishes for service
- Clean kitchen equipment and work/storage areas
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 months (permanent hire conversion based on performance and business need)
- LOCATION: Hawthorne, CA
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Culinary degree or 2+ years of experience in the food service industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic knife skills and knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Possession of or willingness to obtain CA food handler card
- High level of professionalism
- Experience in a corporate environment
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook primarily)
- Understanding of standard kitchen hierarchy and roles
- Understanding of basic cooking methods including sauce making and meat and vegetable preparations
- Sound understanding of food safety and sanitation practices
- Willingness to learn and take guidance from others
- Ability to carry large heavy items, such as dishes in tubs or trays unassisted (up to 25 lbs.)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time – up to 8 hours a day
- Ability to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to perform frequent bending, stooping, and lifting of objects
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Cook/Level 1: $21.00/hour
Cook/Level 2: $23.00/hour
Cook/Level 3: $25.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for potential discretionary bonuses. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, and various other discounts and perks. You will also be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?