Avionics Test Engineer, Systems (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS TEST ENGINEER, SYSTEMS (STARSHIP)
- Be the responsible engineer for integrated test systems that validate high power Starship avionic systems prior to activation and flight at the launch site
- Work collaboratively with customers and experts, including test engineers, software engineers, avionics systems engineers, hardware development engineers, and build teams - defining test objectives and assets for small sub-systems through large vehicle level test systems
- Define test system design, including test plans and procedures, instrumentation, system schematics, harness definition, hardware manifest, and other considerations as required to ensure safety of personnel and test assets
- Provide hands on assistance and coordination for build out of test systems, and act as test director for execution of tests which explore the performance envelope of key flight assets, expose system weaknesses, and directly contribute to mission success
- Drive to root cause and provide corrective action to ensure high quality test results, along with continuously improving test system assets and processes to enable higher fidelity and efficient test execution
- Provide robust documentation and reporting for system configuration and test results, along with formal reviews with stakeholders, customers, and peers before and after test activities
- Manage test milestones, detailed project schedules, and coordinate work for cross-functional team members to best support program objectives
- Be a part of the future and blow stuff up spectacularly for a day job - all in a safe and controlled environment
- Bachelor's degree in an electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or science
- 1+ years of experience with system level testing, electrical or mechanical component design, or integration of complex systems (research and extracurricular academic projects qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Passion for spaceflight and demonstrated experience with testing hardware sub-systems such as power, communications, network, actuators, and sensors
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience on multiple projects making integrated systems work within demanding time and resource constraints
- Experience working through system trades, pushing back on requirements, and following through with successful system builds
- Experience drafting formal test plans and reports
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages and strong first-principles engineering fundamentals
- Experience with batteries, motor drives, and solar arrays, building out high power systems operating at hundreds of volts and many kilo-watts of power
- Experience writing engineering software for test automation, data review, and design analysis, preferably in Python
- Experience with electrical test equipment (scopes, meters, probes, etc.)
- Knowledge of underlying physics for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- Occasional travel may be required to Starbase, Texas
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Hardware Test Engineer/Level 1: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Hardware Test Engineer/Level 2: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?