Sr. Antenna Engineer (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. ANTENNA ENGINEER (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads. As a senior antenna engineer on the Starshield team, you will be working on advanced development programs in support of U.S. National Security. SpaceX is looking for antenna engineers with experience in small antenna design, phased array and reflector antenna systems, and/or antenna test and design validation. You will work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment, where we are exploring unsolved problems and applying the SpaceX mindset of iterating rapidly to go from design and demo to operational capability at lightning pace.
- Design of advanced antenna and feed systems in support of next generation products including phased array and reflector products
- Fabricate and characterize prototypes of antennas, feed systems and RF front ends
- Contribute to development of software and testing of digital beamforming systems to demonstrate full phased array functionality
- Provide phased array expertise to set specifications and debug problems covering satellite phased array products
- Lead or support integration of antennas to spacecraft and other systems
- Analyze in-the-field operational RF performance data of units and investigate methods to improve performance and debug issues
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering
- 5+ years of research or development experience in the areas of RF and antennas (internship and thesis work are acceptable)
- 3+ years of experience using one of the 3D EM simulation tools such as CST, HFSS, FEKO, EMPro, TICRA, or XFDTD
- Experience with basic RF concepts such as impedance matching, linear and aperture antennas, smith chart, power handling metrics (IIP2, IMD), microwave network analysis, RF filter design
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering with some research/thesis work on RF or antennas
- 5+ years of professional experience in a relevant field
- Experience with RF systems including SIGINT, ELINT, radar, or communications
- 1+ years of programming experience in Python, C#, C++, or MATLAB
- Experience designing RF systems including radio astronomy, SIGINT, ELINT, radar, or wireless communications
- Familiar with antenna measurement techniques and tools such as anechoic/reverb chambers, near field EM measurements
- Familiar with one of the mainstream RF circuit simulation tools: AWR, ADS, Genesys
- Familiar with antenna prototyping tools and techniques
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Passion for advancing the commercial and National Security space industry
- Ability and willingness to obtain a Top-Secret clearance
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Antenna Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?