SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- Pilot a mid-sized commercial hovercraft that will carry up to 10 passengers on a commuter route
- Help lead all aspects of safe operation, navigation, and standards of SpaceX’s hovercraft(s)
- Lead all planning related to: voyage planning, day-to-day hovercraft operations, and the safety of all personnel onboard, primarily supporting commuter-route piloting
- Responsible for administrative reports and logbooks according to regulation and standards, and ensuring hovercraft-wide compliance with appropriate programs and standards
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience in an off-shore pilot or captain role
- Current OR In-Process captain's license (6-pack or above)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Active/current US Coast Guard medical certificate/license
- 2+ years of documented commercial/military experience operating hovercraft and/or air boats with an exemplary safety record
- Strong mechanical/maintenance skills are preferred with a focus on diesel engines and integrated control/navigation systems
- 3+ years of professional experience working in a role that deals with examinations or licensing-efforts with US Coast Guard (USCG) and/or American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) regulations
- Knowledge of vessel management systems, safety management systems, and regulatory programs such as OPA 90, MARPOL, ABS, etc.
- Willing to work outdoors and in maritime environments, and able to work flexible hours during mission support periods
- Position includes pre-employment and random drug testing in accordance with 46 CFR 16 and 49 CFR 40
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary; role may require travel
- 6-day work weeks with ~60-plus hour work week is typical, and may vary depending on site operational needs, flexibility is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Hovercraft Pilot/Level 1: $36,000.00 annual salary + $325.00 per day worked
Hovercraft Pilot/Level 2: $36,000.00 annual salary + $540.00 per day worked
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?