Culinary Lead - Temporary
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CULINARY LEAD – TEMPORARY POSITION
Kitchen Lead is a leadership role responsible for but not limited to, staff supervision and quality control in one or more of the food service outlets on campus. This individual works directly with the outlet supervisor and manager to properly delegate, complete, and ensure the quality of production in the kitchen and fills in as the key point of contact in the supervisor or manager’s absence. They are also responsible for overseeing and defining work planning and product allocation needs while maintaining food safety standards and supporting training of the culinary team. The Kitchen Lead supports and/or takes complete ownership of tasks like creating prep lists, orders, station assignments, features, and menus in the outlet/s they are assigned. The Kitchen Lead supports the mission by upholding quality and safe food services in their areas to enhance the productivity and morale of the workforce while ensuring the staff is performing to departmental and company standards.
- Works with leadership to plan services, menus, and production
- Sets and enforces standards of kitchen operation
- Fills in at cooking stations as needed
- Monitors quality and consistency of food products
- Maintains a clean and safe work stations throughout kitchen
- Monitors cleaning of kitchen equipment and work area
- Facilitates effective communication of team or station needs with staff
- Writes/Plans menus, creates prep list, and places orders
- Plays key role in training all cook positions
- Enforces proper food safety practices with staff
- Coordinates and enhances time management for team
- Supports ongoing staff development
This is a temporary position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 3 months (permanent hire conversion based on performance and business need)
- LOCATION: Hawthorne, CA
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 7+ years of food or culinary industry experience
- 1+ years of leadership experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Leadership experience
- Experience in corporate environment
- Experience with batch cooking or high-volume operations
- Has worked in large team settings
- Customer service or guest interaction experience
- Must be able to write menus, prep lists, and create orders effectively
- Advanced knife skills and knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Proficient in all cooking methods, sauce making, and meat and vegetable preparations
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced with Microsoft word, excel, and outlook
- Ability to carry large heavy items unassisted (up to 25lbs)
- Able to stand for long periods of time – up to 10 hours a day
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends as needed
- Able to perform frequent bending, stooping, and lifting of objects
- Must participate in internal leadership and development training
- Must have or be able to obtain Manager level food safety certification
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level 2: $23.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Level 3: $25.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?