Materials & Special Processes Engineer, Supply Chain (Dragon & Falcon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS & SPECIAL PROCESSES ENGINEER, SUPPLY CHAIN (DRAGON & FALCON)
This position will support our Dragon and Falcon programs and requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities. This is a highly technical position that requires practical knowledge in process engineering and new product development through to stabilized production for the special processes and consumables used in rockets and rocket engines. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of both aerospace consumables such as paint, adhesives, and other chemicals and special processes such as thin film coatings, chemical processing and plating with the desire and capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Act as the technical point of contact for outsourced specials processes and consumables such as seals/o-rings, paints, adhesives, and chemicals, solving emergent challenges at suppliers and mitigating risk to the manifest by addressing high-impact manufacturing and quality challenges
- Review issues on assigned parts and solve to the root cause, implementing changes at the supplier, at SpaceX, or both, to drive further actions to closure, and re-source to new suppliers where appropriate
- Create and disposition issue tickets where needed, working with engineering counterparts to implement required re-work, repair or use as-is dispositions
- Become thoroughly familiar with your assigned products and the processes that make up the overall assembly and become the primary point of contact for supply chain related defects on your parts
- Work with procurement to find exceptional suppliers and vet them appropriately for quality and ability to meet our aggressive takt times
- Conduct design for manufacturing (DFM) reviews to ensure parts are manufacturable at early stages, preferably prior to sourcing
- Own the New Product Introduction (NPI) process at suppliers for new parts, drawing changes, or when re-sourcing existing parts to a new supplier
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction and courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction by collaborating with teams, leading projects and continuously driving improvement in the supply base
- Lead containment activities on assigned parts, working with cross-functional counterparts to agree on scope, path forward and ultimate resolution
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience in a manufacturing or process engineering role (including school projects, clubs, or internships)
- Experience in special processes such as thin film coatings, thermal spray coatings, chemical processing, plating, thermal protections systems and/or similar products/processes
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in engineering or business
- Experience in special processes such as coatings, thermal spray coatings, chemical processing, plating, thermal protections systems or similar products/processes
- Experience with consumables such as paint, adhesives, and other chemicals used in aerospace applications
- Familiarity with laboratory testing related to consumables or special processes
- Experience with interpreting engineering drawings and models; GD&T, etc.
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (production part approval process, advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports, etc.)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods, e.g., design of experiments, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Proficient in MS Office and Excel applications and report writing
- Proficient in SQL
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others; strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management
- Must be able to travel - up to 60-85% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supply Chain Engineer/Level 1: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Supply Chain Engineer/Level 2: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?