Sr. Design Reliability Engineer (Spacecraft)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. DESIGN RELIABILITY ENGINEER (SPACECRAFT)
SpaceX is currently seeking talented individuals to work on human spaceflight. Supporting both the Dragon and Starship vehicles, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop novel solutions to advance human spaceflight.
The Design Reliability team is responsible for ensuring that flight hardware and concepts-of-operations lead to successful completion of missions through development and verification of both internal and external design requirements. We perform an industry-unique agile systems engineering role, including engineering reviews, facilitating cross disciplinary action and problem solving, and customer-focused certification efforts across all HLS Starship systems.
- Drive improvements to vehicle design & help overcome design challenges by being closely integrated with hardware teams
- Develop design criteria, requirements, and verification approaches for new designs and systems
- Work with teams to perform rapid conceptual designs to be used company-wide
- Provide critical peer review and approval of hardware designs during design reviews, and of acceptance and qualification test campaigns
- Ensure that the SpaceX design process & design criteria/requirements are being followed for flight, launch, and/or recovery systems
- Setup new processes to enable reliable aircraft-like operations of launch vehicles and spacecraft
- Tailor requirements and verifications to meet program goals
- Perform final verification reviews for reuse hardware
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years professional experience in an engineering role
- Hardware experience performing engineering, fabrication, assembly, or testing in a professional, academic, or recreational setting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline
- Experience with aircraft, launch vehicles, spacecraft, or other aerospace systems
- Knowledge of aircraft, launch vehicle, or spacecraft requirements and standards
- Experience with standards and requirement negotiation
- Excellent customer interface skills
- Experience with at least one commercial FEA package (NASTRAN, ABAQUS, or ANSYS)Hands on experience with various industry standard manufacturing tools, techniques and processes i.e. mills, lathes, electronics assembly, composite layup
- Scripting and data analysis experience using Visual Basic, Matlab, Python and Excel
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as necessary
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Design Reliability Engineer: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?