Sr. Sourcing Specialist (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SOURCING SPECIALIST (STARSHIP)
Starship will revolutionize space travel, and the Valves and Actuators Supply Chain team is a critical part of its success. Working in close coordination with engineering and manufacturing departments, sourcing specialists execute effective supply chain strategies to achieve reliability and production goals. Join us as we manage an agile and robust value chain that enables us to meet ambitious growth targets as we accelerate the program and make humanity a multi-planetary species!
- Conduct comprehensive supplier analysis to formulate a strategic sourcing plan that identifies new/suitable suppliers, optimizes cost models and proactively ensures continuity of supply based on upcoming new product introduction campaign requirements
- Ensure health of supply base by evaluating and selecting suppliers based on capability, quality, reliability, and price competitiveness
- Ensure suppliers meet all critical measures of performance by consistently auditing capacity management systems and probability of successful on time delivery
- Analyze supplier operations to assess technical capability, equipment, and capacity for rapid deployment of new product development and long-term production
- Lead initiatives that support significant improvements in supplier quality, total cost, service levels, delivery, risk, compliance, and other areas as identified
- Benchmark, track, and analyze performance metrics and sourcing trends against strategic objectives
- Execute RFIs and RFPs, document bid events through correspondence to suppliers; conduct supplier negotiations and ongoing contract management
- Coordinate with engineering and quality organizations to determine cause of rejected material and to drive appropriate changes to ensure elimination/reduction of those quality issues
- Administer large contracts and independently negotiate supplier’s contract terminology, pricing, technical requirements, scope and terms involving responsibility, liability, indemnification, intellectual property, and export compliance
- Execute purchasing transactions by issuing purchase orders for flight-focused Starship requirements
- Drive design for manufacturability reviews with support from supplier quality and engineering
- Mitigate risk and ensure continuity of supply by constructing and executing to a well thought out supply plan that fulfills the needs of the product on time and with quality
- Be the “go to” resource for engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, and new product introduction teams when determining best value suppliers, NPI sourcing plans, make vs. buy, should cost, buy complete strategies, and lead times, etc.
- Mitigate sole/single source risk and ensure continuity of supply
- Proactively update key stakeholders on all critical supply issues
- Develop and maintain strong supplier relationships
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and government regulations
BASIC SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Advanced degree; or bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience working in one or more of the following; or 6+ years of experience working in one or more of the following:
- Contract negotiation
- Material or production planning
- Operations or supply chain management
- Material cost control
- Master production scheduling
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Technical knowledge of diverse manufacturing processes, especially machining, casting, and forging
- Experience with MRP or enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, and with managing bill of materials, work orders, and purchase orders
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS) certification, Six Sigma certification, or similar certifications
- Experience in sourcing from a global supply base using various contractual models
- Proven success working on cross-functional new product introduction projects, completing cost models, and negotiating
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Strong skills in data analysis using Excel, SQL, and PowerBI
- Ability to identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational problems
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to respond quickly to a fast-moving and ever-changing environment
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- Must be able to travel - up to 30% work week travel
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Sr. Sourcing Specialist: $90,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?