Manager, Supply Chain Reliability
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, SUPPLY CHAIN RELIABILITY
This position requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities. The Manager of Supply Chain Reliability Engineering at SpaceX is responsible for defining and implementing reliability policies and strategies to ensure mission success and allow SpaceX to scale efficiently. In this role you will make strategic decisions that impact the department and have broad influence across organizations within SpaceX.
Supply Chain Reliability Engineering:
- Interface with Falcon and Dragon component teams to prioritize supplier development needs by commodity to address reliability issues
- Deliver results as measured by key metrics such as part yield, cost, defect rate, etc.
- Work with engineering, production, and experts from other teams and departments to drive changes that make the system reliable, efficient and ultimately reducing overall quality risk
- Maintain established quality processes and necessary procedures to ensure the identification, segregation, control, and disposition of all nonconforming materials, parts, components, and subassemblies at the business and supplier level
- Responsible for containment program associated with non-conforming product, including identification of product location, coordination with build reliability engineers of potential flight risk and the coordination of actions required to identify root cause analysis
- Lead cross functional supplier quality investigations. Coordinate failure resolution and follow-up actions to avoid further mishaps
- Promote and execute quality standards, inspection processes, and test methodology, quality plans, documents and reports. Assist in process certification
- Perform independent technical field qualification and verification of supplier capabilities and ongoing reliability. Execute corrective actions as a result of audit
- Manage supplier improvement programs. Drive improvements utilizing lean methodologies, supplier scorecards and supplier audits, ensuring supplier compliance while driving systematic problem solving and process improvement plans to deliver value
- Develop and enhance transactional processes to gain organizational efficiency
- Drive a team of highly talented individuals that own the supply chain reliability function and drive continuous improvement at suppliers and supply chain to produce high reliability parts for rockets and spacecraft through production and integration
- Responsible for defining the structure of the team and providing mentorship and strategic development planning for first- and second-level direct reports
- Actively and effectively manage the teams by providing clear direction that aligns with the strategy and priorities of the company
- Hire, develop and retain top talent to meet current and future business needs
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Act as a champion for the teams through regular communications with company leadership
Self-Management & Relationship Management:
- Challenge assumptions, and build strong professional relationships
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention-to-detail, self-direction, and courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Engage interest and participation of others and promotes a collaborative environment
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Show moral courage, openness and honesty in all dealings
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- +3 years in quality/reliability or engineering role
- +2 years of experience in a quality/reliability/manufacturing leadership role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Expert level knowledge in one or more commodities within the teams’ scope, e.g., machined parts, fabricated components, sheet metal, composites, raw materials & special processes
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.)
- Experience with quality systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Knowledge of Lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others (strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods (Minitab, design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience
- Experience performing PFMEAs
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Broad knowledge of managing and executing processes and projects within assigned disciplines along with solid understanding of other areas of the department and company
- Assertive, optimistic, resilient and welcoming of change
- Passion for making systems reliable, smarter, better, faster and cheaper and paranoid about finding reliability risks
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- Must be able to travel – up to 20% work week travel may be required
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Valid California driver’s license
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manager: $150,000.00 - $190,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?