Environmental Health & Safety Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY TECHNICIAN
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Technicians are responsible for regulatory requirements relating to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Department of Transportation (DOT). They work with engineers and technicians daily to ensure our testing facility can support manufacturing goals while meeting all environmental, health, and safety objectives.
- Responsible for environmental compliance with all applicable regulations including but not limited TCEQ, EPA/RCRA, and DOT
- Perform tasks related to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulatory Hazardous Waste handling, storage and disposal requirements
- Monitor and manage levels of hazardous waste at each department’s satellite accumulation area
- Ensure all waste is properly labeled
- Ensure all waste is properly stored, according to its classification.
- Accurately record and maintain 90-day hazardous waste drum logs, hazardous waste sign in sheets
- Accurately perform all required Hazardous waste and Hazardous material storage area inspections
- Coordinate waste shipments with EHS Engineer and waste disposal contractor
Health and Safety
- Perform boots on the ground safety oversight by Identifying and correcting work place hazards and unsafe conditions
- Provide EHS life safety and equipment training courses as needed
- Monitor employee exposure to job and chemical hazards
- Assist in the implementation and compliance of site-specific safety policies
- Coordinate with the EHS Technician(s), EHS Engineers and EHS Manager to develop and implement new safety policies as required.
- Assist in the creation of Job Hazard Analysis and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) assessments.
- Conduct and/or coordinate employee safety and environmental training programs and assist with emergency response training drills.
- Perform department specific safety surveys using inspection forms to ensure employees are utilizing safe work practices such as utilizing proper PPE, minimizing trip hazards, wearing fall protection etc.
- Ensure notification and corrective actions are put in place when any unsafe condition is presented or found throughout the site
- Perform inspections of the sites emergency response equipment
- Assist the EHS engineers in accident/mishap investigations when necessary
- 2+ years of experience implementing and overseeing environmental, health and safety policies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil and water
- Experience using Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Demonstrated strong propensity for hands-on work and attention to detail in either academic or career pursuits
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities, and to follow through on projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a construction/industrial environment
- Ability to communicate well with technicians and engineers
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Associate degree in an Environmental Health and Safety discipline
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, fast-paced environment
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed based on site operational needs; flexibility required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Environmental Health & Safety Technician/Level 1: $21.00/hour
Environmental Health & Safety Technician/Level 2: $26.00/hour
Environmental Health & Safety Technician/Level 3: $31.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?