Lead Software Engineer (Development Test)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER (DEVELOPMENT TEST)
The development test team is a fast paced R&D focused group that supports testing of the latest vehicle and spacecraft designs. We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to lead our software team merging rigorous aerospace testing requirements with highly reliable and efficient industrial automation methods. As a lead software engineer, you will be creating software that executes and automates testing, simplifies the testing process, and provides fleet management for our data acquisition systems. You will engage with a team of talented test engineers in support of testing our spacecraft and launch vehicles.
- Provide strong technical leadership with a focus on continuous product, professional, and personal improvement
- Prioritize software roadmap items to meet business needs
- Define and implement project plans, manage milestones and hold reviews to assure delivery of reliable test systems
- Develop automation frameworks that allow the organization to move fast with high confidence in the quality of the code
- Design, build, and support custom test software with a focus on reliability, maintainability, and ease of use
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software to interact with test articles, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation systems
- Create new applications that improve how the business at SpaceX operates
- Evaluate existing applications and architecture, give recommendations for practical solutions, and drive modifications to completion
- Collaborate with other software engineers and developers to build reusable modules in larger multi-component application environments
- Perform hands-on integration and troubleshooting of test hardware/software systems
- Rollout communication for upcoming software changes to users
- Work with test engineers and test operations to improve designs of existing electrical control systems used to test our spacecraft and launch vehicles
- Deep dive into user problems and efficiently find solutions
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or STEM discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development
- Professional experience leading a software engineering team in a formal, technical, or project management capacity
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience with software development cycle and agile methodologies
- Understanding of configuration management, source control, testing, continuous integration, build, deployment & continuous monitoring
- Experience working in a Linux development and production environment
- Database experience with PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or similar database technologies
- Professional experience with multiple programming languages such as LabVIEW, Python, Control Code, C#, C/C++, Java
- Solid understanding of UI/UX design to provide intuitive applications
- Experience working with mechanical and electrical systems with emphasis on data acquisition systems (DAQ)
- Experience with National Instruments and/or industrial controllers like Beckhoff or Allen Bradley Rockwell
- Proven history of driving projects from concept to completion.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills and engineering fundamentals
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships across disciplines and with multiple levels of management
- Experience developing application, test, or automation software in an interdisciplinary environment
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?