Antenna Engineer, Satellites (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ANTENNA ENGINEER, SATELLITES (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As a member of the Antenna Engineering team, you’ll have extreme ownership of the phased array, Wi-Fi, and other RF systems for the satellites, gateways, and customer-facing hardware, and the opportunity to develop something entirely new to the market. You’ll regularly interact with senior leadership to influence fundamental operation of our constellation and network while collaborating with electrical, silicon, software, mechanical, and manufacturing teams to steer this project from initial conception to manufacturing.
- Design of advanced antenna and feed systems in support of next generation products including phased array and reflector products
- Fabricate and characterize prototypes of antennas, feed systems and RF front ends
- Contribute to development of software and testing of digital beamforming systems to demonstrate full phased array functionality
- Provide phased array expertise to set specifications and debug problems covering satellite and consumer phased array products
- Contribute to various aspects of the integration of the antennas into spacecraft and other systems
- Analyze in-the-field operational RF performance data of units and investigate methods to improve performance and debug issues
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of research or development experience in the general areas of RF and antennas (internship and thesis work acceptable)
- 1+ years of experience using one of the 3D EM simulation tools such as CST, HFSS, FEKO, EMPro, TICRA or XFDTD
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering with some research/thesis work on RF or antennas
- Experience with basic RF concepts such as impedance matching, linear and aperture antennas, smith chart, power handling metrics (IIP2, IMD), microwave network analysis, RF filter design
- 1+ years of programming experience in Python, C#, C++, or MATLAB
- Familiarity with antenna measurement techniques and tools such as anechoic/reverb chambers, near field EM measurements
- Familiarity with one of the mainstream RF circuit simulation tools: AWR, ADS, Genesys
- Familiarity with antenna prototyping tools and techniques
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Antenna Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Antenna Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?