Power Electronics Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER (STARLINK)
SpaceX is leveraging its experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact. As we continue to upgrade and expand the constellation, we’re looking for best-in-class engineers to join the team.
Our Power Electronics team designs and develops the power conversion and control systems at the heart of the Starlink satellites and portions of the ground systems - enabling the high-speed, low-latency broadband internet service provided by Starlink across the globe. As a member of the team, your designs will run the gamut from low voltage to kV range, and powers from 1W to many kW (other applications include solar/MPPT, battery, motors/actuators, ion propulsion, laser optical links, and other vehicle systems).
- Provide engineering expertise in design, analysis, and testing of DC-DC power converters for harsh environments
- Work on electrical power system and sub-system level design trades and develop requirements
- Define and perform electrical power system verification testing and analysis
- Work with multidisciplinary teams of design, test, and production engineers to create new power electronics hardware
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 1+ years of experience in power converter development (internship or extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering or related field
- Strong grasp of analog control and discrete logic design
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and testing of power electronics
- Working experience in voltage and current mode control and compensation design
- Experience with AC-DC converters and power factor correction
- Strong grasp of DC-DC topologies, with ability to select optimal architectures and components
- Understanding of design for fault tolerance and reliability
- Familiar with failure mode effects and criticality analysis
- Familiarity with design of wire wound and planar inductors and transformers
- Familiarity with power supply testing and packaging for harsh environments
- Experience with in-lab impedance measurement and loop-gain measurement
- Familiarity with spacecraft electrical power systems and knowledge of radiation effects
- Familiarity with solar arrays as input power sources
- Familiarity with lithium-ion battery handling, safety, and usage
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Power Electronics Engineer/Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
Power Electronics Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?