Sr. Network Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. NETWORK ENGINEER (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As a Network Engineer you will drive the operation, build and deployment of our network around the world. You will be a key component in managing and expanding our global footprint, improving network performance and reliability and assist in optimizing our deployments.
- Architect the evolution of Starlink’s network interconnections, network co-location sites and points of presence (POPs)
- Lead the technical design of how Starlink satellite assets will integrate with more traditional ground networks
- Lead projects to iteratively increase Starlink’s network performance
- Participate in the overall network automation epic by helping identifying candidate projects and providing technical leadership
- Assist in negotiating technical aspects of supplier and service provider contracts
- Mentor and train junior network engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or engineering discipline and 5+ years of professional hands on experience operating a service provider network; or 7+ years of professional hands on experience operating a service provider network in lieu of a degree
- Cisco CCIE (or other vendor network certification)
- Operational experience in a Linux production environment
- Experience with Python and/or bash scripting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in a technical or engineering discipline
- Deep understanding of service provider networks including but not limited to:
- Data center and WAN connectivity (Ethernet, DWDM, Wireless P2P)
- Access network (GPON, DOCSIS, xDSL)
- Switching and routing
- Subscriber management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, BSS/OSS integration)
- Network security and Anti-DDoS measures
- Internet services (subscriber provisioning, BRAS, DNS, DHCP, NTP)
- Strong familiarity with network health monitoring systems such as Observium, Solarwinds or Nagios
- Experience with hands-on experience bringing up network infrastructure
- Experience creating documentation and procedures
- Ability to run projects independently
- Experience working on wireless networks
- Experience working on software defined networking (SDN) and/or network function virtualization (NFV)
- Must be willing to do some travel domestically and globally in the future when needed
- Must be available for on-call rotations
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Network Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?