Mechanical Engineer (Starlink Tooling)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (STARLINK TOOLING)
As a member of the Starlink Production Automation and Tooling team you will work with a team of elite engineers to design, build and activate custom machines critical to the production of the Starlink product line. You will personally own high impact projects and drive them from concept to completion on a time scale measured in months, not years. You will get hands-on and build the things you design to create the factory of the future for high volume, highly automated user terminal production. You will also constantly raise the bar for industrial automation contributing to an unstoppable team as driven as you are.
- Design and develop structures, mechanisms and automation equipment to enable high volume production of Starlink User Terminals
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept generation through fabrication and production bring-up
- Balance simultaneous projects of varying scope and complexity in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborate with design teams to develop the product and production processes in parallel and ensure production success
- Solve complex, open-ended problems with an emphasis on speed of execution and efficiency
- Hone your organizational skills as you coordinate with internal SpaceX resources and external vendors and maintain a project schedule and budget
- Assemble and commission the equipment you design
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of work experience or experience with mechanical-related projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with custom machine design including electromechanical systems, end-of-arm tooling, motors, actuators, linear rails, bearings, lifting/rigging, etc.
- Prior work experience with structural analysis
- Experience designing mechanical systems using 3D CAD software and 2D drawings
- Experience applying common manufacturing and machining processes where it applies to design (such as welding, machining, assembly, inspection, etc.)
- Experience sizing basic mechanical components and structures
- Solid understanding of drafting standards and demonstrated experience of applying GD&T
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including mills, lathes, manual and CNC, and hands-on machining experience
- Experience with Siemens Unigraphics (UGS/NX) and Teamcenter CAD/PDM systems
- Experience with FEA and structures hand calculations
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.