Principal IC Packaging Engineer, Silicon Technology (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL IC PACKAGING ENGINEER, SILICON TECHNOLOGY (STARLINK)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to those that need it most. We design, build, and launch the world's largest and most advanced satellite constellation that is capable of delivering high-speed internet to even the most remote locations. We also design, build, and ship the hardware that sits in the homes of our customers all around the world. While our hardware and network are incredibly advanced, we keep the end-user experience impressively simple - our customers have internet within 10 minutes of unboxing.
In true SpaceX fashion, Starlink is taking the next step in vertical integration by bringing integrated circuit packaging and assembly in-house for development and manufacturing. We are looking for a packaging technologist with expertise in advanced semiconductor packaging assembly design, modeling, reliability, materials, development, equipment, and test. You will drive and implement novel packaging technology elements across the Starlink product portfolio as we strive to make Starlink more affordable to those that need it most.
- High-level technical oversight across all Starlink packaging technology and development
- Drive best-in-class packaging products and module development roadmaps
- Interface with silicon design teams, supply chain, and vendors (foundries, substrate suppliers, OSATs) for product definition
- Develop new technologies and establish baselines for assembly and packaging including SMT, flip chip, bonding, molding, underfill, dispense, EMI shielding, lid, and solder ball attach
- Oversee new product introduction (NPI) and new technology introduction (NTI) for assembly packaging lines
- Material and equipment selection to meet quality, reliability, cost, yield, and production targets
- Cross-functional interface with IC design, materials, thermal, systems, and production teams
- Implement advanced packaging solutions into SpaceX next generation products
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, physics, or other applied engineering discipline
- 7+ years of professional experience in semiconductor assembly and packaging
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10+ years industry experience with microelectronics packaging development and production
- Advanced technical degree
- Product lifecycle experience from design to production
- 2D, 2.5D, and/or 3D packaging integration experience
- Expert in packaging technologies such as BGA, fcCSP, WLCSP, system-in-package SiP, multi-chip modules MCM, wirebond, heterogenous integration, AiP, AoP, SoC
- Solder ball, Cu pillar, hybrid, thermocompression, and novel bonding techniques
- Deep packaging materials and reliability experience
- OSAT (outsource semiconductor assembly and test) experience a plus
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
IC Packaging Engineer/Principal: $165,000.00 - $230,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?