Operations Engineer, Materials Management (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
OPERATIONS ENGINEER, MATERIALS MANAGEMENT (STARLINK)
This Materials Management team is responsible for all inventory, material handling and logistics activities needed to build our revolutionary satellites and ground stations at rate. This role will lead cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams to support strategic process development, optimize material flow, design distribution and delivery networks and maximize space utilization. We are seeking emerging leaders who can apply principles of operations engineering, operations research, industrial engineering, and data science to complex optimization and simulation problems. We are searching for qualified engineers who can conduct complex problem analysis, and steer strategic decisions within production.
- Develop tools to analyze delivery, capacity, cost problems for production, supply chain, and operations to guide decisions
- Create 3D material flow layout visualizations and animations using advanced modeling software.
- Work with production and manufacturing representatives utilizing internal and external benchmarking to provide a vision of a desired future state. Facilitate best practice sharing across departments with a heavy focus on developing innovative new solutions for manufacturing that leverage automated material flow systems. Ensure that SpaceX is using the most state-of-the-art material flow for production methods.
- Lead creation of material flow standards in conjunction with manufacturing engineering and supply chain representatives for an approved internal material transport, packaging, kitting and line-side presentation catalog.
- Organize budget, schedule, facility, headcount and resource allocation, capital expenditure and execution plans to support new hardware and/or value stream realignment introduction efforts as it relates to material flow.
- Establish value stream packaging, kitting solution, internal part transport, sequencing, line-side presentation, final packaging and overall processing specifications at the part number level for new value stream introductions.
- Identify operational challenges within the organization, determine root cause, and develop appropriate solutions
- Collaborate with cross-departmental partners in supply chain, engineering and production
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, business, analytics, physics, mathematics or supply chain
- 1+ years of experience in using Excel, SQL, or Python/R for analysis or modeling dynamic systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of experience in material flow, packaging, inventory/logistics management or industrial/operations engineering
- Proficiency with statistics, data analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and visualization
- Experience with CAD software, Power BI, and discrete event modeling tools
- Experience with inventory, production, and capacity planning (including MRP/ERP systems)
- Experience as an industrial, operations, process or manufacturing engineer in a developmental manufacturing environment
- Experience with lean, six sigma, and related production principles
- Experience or education in management science and engineering, operations engineering, operations research, or industrial engineering
- Experience as a contributor to multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high stress environments
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- This position is based in Redmond, WA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Operations Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Operations Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?