Quality Specialist (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
QUALITY SPECIALIST (STARSHIP)
The Quality Specialist is a key part of every production work center. Our Quality Specialists are on the shop floor making a direct impact on manufacturing and quality processes. We look for technical, hands-on people who are passionate about building orbital Starship and Super Heavy, faster than anyone thought possible.
- Together with build reliability engineers, identify areas of concern and implement improvements to inspection techniques
- Develop and standardize inspection guidelines and criteria
- Assist in training inspectors on measurement techniques, criteria, and documentation practices
- Identify workmanship and inherent to process type issues, and take actions to improve
- Work with production areas to provide training to technicians for repeat failures/escapes
- Network with internal customers on inspection/workmanship escapes landscape
- Work closely with technicians, inspectors, build reliability, manufacturing engineers, and production management to identify and lead/support continuous improvement initiatives
- Implement and audit FOD and tool control policies and procedures
- Review specifications and build documentation for completeness, accuracy, regulatory compliance, and quality objectives
- Perform Issue Ticket review/audit to ensure rationale, documentation of design deviation, and disposition verification is captured
- Provide guidance to technicians and supervisors to assist in quarantining of all suspect product
- Communicate status of containment evaluation and disposition to production leadership on a regular basis
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering, manufacturing, or quality field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or science discipline or 4 years of professional experience in a quality inspection or manufacturing role
- Dedicated to adopting a lean approach to quality without compromising safety or reliability
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings and CAD models i.e.- Experience with Siemens NX (UG), Teamcenter CAD and PLM systems
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment
- Strong communication and technical skills
- Proactive, self-motivated, driven, and committed to a team approach
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with AS 9100, ISO 9001, ISO/TS 16949, ISO 13485, or similar QMS
- Practical experience with GD&T and skillful use of metrology tools and gages
- Hands on experience with MIG/TIG welding and supporting NDE
- Knowledge of quality tools such as Lean principles, Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action, Metrology, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Control Plans, and various problem-solving approaches
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted and to stand for extended periods
- Flight hardware typically is built at height or in tight quarters, and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Must be able to work all shift hours, able to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Must be able to travel for short trips as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Quality Specialist/Level 1: $28.00/hour
Quality Specialist/Level 2: $32.00/hour
Quality Specialist/Level 3: $36.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?