Manufacturing Specialist, Tool and Die Machining (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING SPECIALIST, TOOL AND DIE MACHINING (STARLINK)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation, is our solution to providing reliable internet to the entire world. We are looking for talented manufacturing specialists to help establish new manufacturing and test processes and support full-scale production for the user terminal (a high volume manufactured product that consumers will have in their homes).
The success of Starlink depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, and security of the products that you deliver. This role will be an ideal next career step if you seek a fast-paced/dynamic environment, thrive on solving difficult problems where resolutions have high impact, and love the challenge of building something from scratch. Develop new manufacturing methods and qualify processes to be introduced into tool and die machining. This role will require individuals to program/run 5-axis machines on tool/die surfaces and graphite milling for EDM electrodes.
- Help execute new product builds from raw material across all CNC work centers
- Triage non-conforming product from machining and help implement resolution and preventative actions.
- Work with the team to help developing in-house machining processes
- Resolve manufacturing issues while ensuring design integrity, product quality, and delivery timelines
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities for yield, performance, and cost
- Program and operate multi-axis CNC machines (mills and lathes) up to and including 5-axis mills and 6-axis lathes on tool/die surfaces
- Program and operate 5-axis graphite milling for EDM electrodes
- Complete machining operations from blueprints, drawings and/or verbal instructions
- Work with complex, tight tolerance parts and various materials
- Perform machine maintenance (Filters, Coolant up keep machine cleanliness etc..)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 5+ years of experience in set up, operation and/or programming of CNC mill or lathe machines
- 3+ years of experience machining Molds and/or Dies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of developing raw material flow through a machine shop
- Excellent computer skills (email, Microsoft Windows, Excel)
- 2+ year’s experience with Team center
- 2 +years experience with Siemens NX
- Experience with Heidenhain controls
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills
- Ability to provide process and design improvement suggestions to engineering
- Able to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching may be required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted
- Able to travel for business trips as needed (up to 70%) to Hawthorne, CA for initial training (3-4 months) and up to 10% on an ongoing basis
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Specialist/Level 1: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Manufacturing Specialist/Level 2: $34.00 - $43.00/hour
Manufacturing Specialist/Level 3: $38.00 - $48.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?