Satellite Hardware Test Engineer (Production)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SATELLITE HARDWARE TEST ENGINEER (PRODUCTION)
Satellite Hardware Test Engineers are responsible for designing, developing and validating production test infrastructure for integrated systems. A successful Satellite Hardware Test Engineer demonstrates engineering intuition and critical thinking and is comfortable working under ambiguous requirements with minimal oversight. Combining these skills, these engineers face challenges across a wide variety of work centers at the company, and the team is frequently asked to tackle new, inter-departmental development projects.
- Develop and architect test to cover test requirements for complex satellite systems including electromechanical and optomechanical hardware
- Ensure adequate production test coverage across various stages and levels of satellite assemblies
- Write automation software in Python to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and manufacturing execution systems
- Integrate commercially off the shelf test equipment with existing test infrastructure and manufacturing execution systems
- Drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield
- Root-cause test failures to ensure issues are understood and develop and implement mitigations as part of a process of continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in and engineering discipline or physics
- 1+ years of experience with hardware development or electronics test engineering via professional experience, internships, research and/or outside the classroom projects
- 1+ years of programming experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with test equipment and measurement techniques to verify and validate product requirements
- Understanding of electrical schematics and electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test coverage
- Understanding of metrology, sources of measurement error, and uncertainty analysis
- Experience developing object-oriented software
- Experience analyzing circuits and developing functional test plans
- Documentation and configuration management experience
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and providing go/no-go judgment and rationale
- Experience in a production environment
- Experience with data analysis to evaluate performance and sensitivities of systems
- Experience developing software to actively control electrical or mechanical devices
- Some travel to our launch sites may be required as needed, up to 10%
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed
- This position is very hands-on and requires one to be on their feet for extended periods of time, up to 4 hours at a time
- Will often work side by side with our technicians and must be able to climb ladders, stoop, bend, crawl, and work in tight spaces
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Satellite Hardware Test Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Satellite Hardware Test Engineer /Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.