Launch Engineer, Pad Operations & Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, PAD OPERATIONS & ENGINEERING
The pad engineering team is responsible for all of the fluids systems necessary to launch our Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets including our liquid oxygen, RP-1 kerosene, helium, nitrogen, hydraulics, and air conditioning systems. As one of the launch pad engineers, you will be given significant autonomy over all aspects of one of the fluids systems. Key responsibilities include system design, analysis, implementation, activation, and sustainment planning.
- Work closely with other engineers to increase system automation.
- Write procedures for system activation and maintenance.
- Select components, such as valves, pumps, piping, tanks, and filters, and provide detailed specifications for their purchase.
- Complete design and drafting of schematics (P&IDs).
- Interact with vendors and resolve technical warranty issues.
- Interact with other engineers to design the physical piping layout of the fluids systems.
- Assist with advanced troubleshooting.
- Own and perform all activation testing with a small team of engineers and technicians.
- Provide innovative solutions to problems while working with minimal supervision.
- Represent SpaceX by presenting certification packages and engineering data to U.S. government agencies including NASA, US Air Force and other DoD customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of experience within the last 5 years with fluid systems, hydraulics and/or HVAC systems.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in engineering.
- Self-starter that will seek out the solutions to technical problems with the local team along with the larger SpaceX workforce.
- Hands-on experience working with complex fluid or mechanical systems in a professional setting or outside the classroom project team.
- Demonstrated expertise in the design of propellant and gas systems.
- Experience modeling fluid system prior to construction.
- Experience troubleshooting systems utilizing remote operations and instrumentation feedback.
- Experience with fluid systems engineering, assembly, operation or test.
- Good written and oral communication; especially translating technical concepts for non-technical audiences.
- General hands-on mechanical experience: automotive, robotics, rocketry, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Vandenberg and Cape Canaveral.
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary.
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. unassisted.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Launch Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Launch Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.