Recovery Technician (West Coast)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RECOVERY TECHNICIAN (WEST COAST)
- Stage, set up, assemble/disassemble, test and install/remove flight hardware using precision calibrated tools – torque wrenches, micrometers and calipers
- Hands-on operations with both large and small, fragile assemblies
- Read and interpret blueprints and schematics
- Perform work according to procedures, specifications and test instructions
- Maintain facility operations including organization, maintenance and safety of facility
- Collaborate with recovery engineers to develop and document activities
- Ensure recovery services are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Maintain and repair recovery vessels as required
- Recover flown hardware to prepare for refurbishment
- Use various mechanical tools without instruction
- Maintain accountability and perform maintenance of tools and equipment
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of professional hands-on experience in hardware assembly, test, maintenance and/or installation OR certificate from an accredited trade skills program in Airframe & Powerplant (A&P), manufacturing, and/or electronics
- 1+ years of experience troubleshooting mechanical systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Maritime experience
- Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) license or Aerospace Technology certification
- Prior experience working with launch vehicles or marine vessels
- Prior experience supporting recovery efforts
- Knowledge of pressure, temperature and flow measurement devices
- Experience operating forklifts, cranes and heavy equipment
- Experience with hydrostatic and pneumatic testing
- A demonstrated ability in reading and understanding technical drawings, manuals and reports
- Able to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Position requires ability to obtain Merchant Mariner credential, which includes pre-employment and random drug testing in accordance with 46 CFR 16 and 49 CFR 40
- Ability to work on offshore vessels for extended durations without access to emergency services normally available on shore
- Ability to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Ability to climb up and down stairs regularly throughout the day
- Ability to operate heavy machinery
- Willing to operate small support boats in open ocean conditions
- Ability to lift and handle up to 35 lbs unassisted
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Willing to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, wind, open ocean
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch and critical project timelines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Recovery Technician/Level 1: $20.00 - $27.00/hour
Recovery Technician/Level 2: $25.00 - $32.50/hour
Recovery Technician/Level 3: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.