Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (DRAGON)
As a Dragon Engineer at SpaceX, you will have the unique opportunity to apply your knowledge, experience and creative abilities to directly impact our next generation spacecraft, Dragon 2. On the Dragon 2 Team you will develop novel solutions, which will be groundbreaking for space technology and SpaceX missions.
Initially Dragon 2 will be delivering cargo and astronauts to the International Space Station. Future missions will ultimately seek to extend humanity’s reach far beyond the earth and moon. Bringing a fresh perspective to engineering problem solving, you will use your interpersonal skills to help accelerate hardware production, increase the quality of high performance spaceflight hardware and meet Dragon 2's time sensitive project completion.
- Own piece parts and assembled propulsion sub systems throughout the manufacturing process, with focus on delivery to meet Dragon rate while maintaining safety and part quality
- Responsible for developing and qualifying new processes to take products from design to production
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies for all owned parts and processes by collaborating with the design engineering, production and quality teams
- Support day-to-day production of tank & engine assemblies, high-pressure testing, and integration of hardware
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume production demand
- Find and eliminate process waste, streamline production processes and enable continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, manufacturing or aerospace engineering
- 1+ years of hands on experience driving the design, manufacturing, or development of mechanical components or systems (internship and project team experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in aerospace, mechanical, systems or manufacturing engineering
- Experience with design for manufacturability and assembly
- Experience with welding, machining & coating prosses
- Knowledge of principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Experience conducting pressure and leak testing using instrumentation such as helium mass spectrometers, flow meters, pressure transducers and thermocouples
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping and fault analysis
- Experience performing pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience
- Experience performing PFMEAs
- Familiarity with CAD and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work
- Position requires working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.