Lead Propulsion Engineer (Raptor Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD PROPULSION ENGINEER (RAPTOR AVIONICS)
The Raptor Avionics team is responsible for the design, manufacturing and test of the all avionics installed on Raptor engines. This Lead Engineer role will lead a team of engineers working on process development, process qualification and processes automation as well as scaling up our in-house production capacity for a wide range of avionics hardware including PCBAs, sensors and harnessing.
- Lead a team of engineers working in advanced, high volume production environment
- Challenge engineering and manufacturing requirements to drive efficient manufacturing of Avionics hardware, sensors and harnessing and collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of engineers (manufacturing, design, build, and reliability), internal production teams, and external vendors
- Work with design engineering to develop design and manufacturing standards that reduce shop burden and implement a maintainable and lasting system of reasonable and powerful requirements
- Resolve manufacturing issues, disposition nonconforming parts, perform root cause analysis, and implement robust corrective actions
- Provide recommendations for tooling design and improvement, based on analysis and data
- Design tooling for new and existing products to support rate production
- Streamline existing production builds to minimize cost while improving quality and efficiency
- Work with upstream and downstream work centers to track production rate, identify bottlenecks, and act to resolve
- Implement standard practices, troubleshooting guides, and standard repair procedures, including review and approval of planning documents
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or technical field with experience working on pressure transducers or other physical sensors
- 2+ years of experience working with physical sensors, PCBAs and/or test development
- Data analysis experience in Python or MATLAB
- 1+ years of experience leading a team or project
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous engineering leadership experience with direct reports
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels in the organization, including production technicians, engineering, and executive level
- A technical understanding and practical knowledge of process controls and process qualifications
- Demonstrated experience and ability to read, interpret, and follow mechanical drawings and parts lists
- Ability to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Excellent attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Ability to work directly with the hardware on the floor for extended periods of time
- Position may require extended hours and weekend work
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Lead: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.