Sr. Turbomachinery Engineer (Raptor)
At SpaceX, we are revolutionizing space technology and pushing the boundaries of what is possible. As a Sr. Turbomachinery Engineer, you will play a critical role in designing and developing the next generation of turbopumps for our Raptor engine, the propulsion system that will take us to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
SR. TURBOMACHINERY ENGINEER (RAPTOR)
SpaceX is seeking a highly motivated Sr. Turbomachinery Engineer to join our team in designing and developing the next generation of turbopumps for Raptor. You will lead the design, development, and qualification of rocket turbopumps for multiple applications at SpaceX, taking the designs from initial concept to flight. Conduct coupled aerodynamic/hydrodynamic and mechanical design and demonstrate a broad turbomachinery system understanding as well as the ability to work with a wider team of specialists in the various sub-systems. Ensure that turbomachinery solutions are developed to meet challenging manufacturing goals, minimum cost/weight, and on an aggressive schedule.
- Design, build, and test turbopumps for liquid-fueled rocket engines and other rocket or spacecraft systems
- Own critical turbomachinery components and be responsible for every aspect of the turbomachinery design, demonstrate ownership and work in close collaboration with manufacturing and assembling
- Perform the hydrodynamic sizing and flowpath design and analysis work for impellers and diffusers for the raptor engine and other turbomachinery for spacecraft systems
- Ensure that detailed mechanical analysis is performed on all the turbopump components/systems. Review drawings and make sure that selected designs meet the required standards for life and reliability targets
- Devise accurate and correct models, develop new methodologies and first principles-based tools to determine turbopump performance and operability. Push the boundary of the state of the art of turbomachinery designs by exploring innovative concepts
- Interface with our world-class production team to ensure designs are successfully translated into flight hardware that is revolutionizing access to space
- Work with teams developing other systems (vehicle, feedlines, valves, etc.) to ensure that the turbopump design is optimally integrated and that risks are well balanced across the system
- Own secondary flow analysis and design, ensure that current and future hardware meets performance targets
- Support both component and assembly testing. Be involved with defining the test configuration, the test process/execution and review the results to confirm
- Lead the resolution of issues encountered with the turbopump during development/qualification testing
- Support ongoing design improvements to turbopump assemblies and/or sub systems including manufacturing improvements to reduce cost and lead time of components
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience in the design of turbomachinery or related turbomachinery experience
- Experience with analysis (structural and fluids) software packages
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree or higher in aerospace, aeronautics or mechanical engineering
- Strong understanding of pump hydrodynamic/aerodynamic design and fundamentals of turbomachinery
- Strong understanding of turbomachinery mechanical design
- Strong understanding of thermodynamics, compressible and incompressible flow, thermochemistry mechanics and/or materials
- Experience with turbomachinery manufacturing and design of manufacturability
- Experience with secondary flow and axial thrust balance modeling
- Experience with meanline analysis
- Hands-on experience with turbomachinery hardware build
- Experience with turbomachinery testing and engine testing
- Professional experience using Siemens NX (Unigraphics) or other CAD packages
- Experience with Ansys (CFX, Mechanical, Thermal)
- Understanding of engineering fundamentals and the ability to develop first principles based models and quick estimates
- Perseverance in the face of extreme challenges
- Experience at a nimble engineering organization or in a highly technical position that required a scrappy, entrepreneurial manner to accomplish tasks with tight time or budget constraints
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deliver against an aggressive schedule
- Willingness to travel in support of launching and testing of hardware
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as needed to resolve critical technical or timing issues
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Turbomachinery Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.