Sr. DSP Software Engineer, Communication Systems (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. DSP SOFTWARE ENGINEER, COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads.
As a DSP software engineer on the Starshield satellite team, you will be a part of our mission to provide global connectivity to the US government including immediate access to critical intelligence and national security data anywhere it is needed. You will work with a team of RF engineers, DSP engineers, software engineers, hardware engineers, and end users to design and build communications systems to provide essential data to global users. You will work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment, where we are exploring unsolved problems and applying the SpaceX mindset of iterating rapidly to go from design and demo to operational capability at lightning pace.
An active Top Secret security clearance, or ability to obtain one, is desired.
- Write C/C++ and python based software to implement Software Defined Radio (SDR) modems
- Design the complete physical layer waveform and implement the modem on space-based hardware
- Work in close collaboration with FPGA, RF/antenna, and software engineers to design and validate software-defined radio systems
- Characterize on-orbit system performance and drive continual design improvements to the software and hardware
- 5+ years of experience in DSP/software engineering and Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering; or 7+ years of DSP/software engineering experience in lieu of a degree
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering using C/C++ and Python
- 3+ years of experience in system-level modeling and/or digital signal processing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering with emphasis in Communication Systems and/or Digital Signal Processing
- Experience working with various multiple access schemes such as TDMA, CDMA and OFDMA
- Experience with software-defined radios and frameworks, such as GNU Radio
- Knowledge of digital communication systems including spread spectrum, forward error correction, and modulation types such as FSK, BPSK, QPSK, QAM, and PCM/FM
- Knowledge of typical communication channel effects like multi-path, Doppler, phase noise, and AWGN
- Knowledge of Forward Error Correction (FEC) codes such as LDPC and Turbo Codes
- Knowledge of GPS, geolocation, position navigation and timing (PNT), and techniques such as TDOA, FDOA, and AOA/LOB
- Understanding of link budgets and analysis related to communication systems
- Understanding of modem designs, link-level algorithms and hardware architectures
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI preferred; ability and willingness to obtain a Top Secret clearance is required
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet mission-critical deadlines
- An active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. DSP Engineer: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.