Fabrication Technician (Launch Hardware)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FABRICATION TECHNICIAN (LAUNCH HARDWARE)
- Fabricate and repair hardware and equipment
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Follow complex sequences and operations, following SpaceX procedures and stipulations to create a safe environment
- Build, install, maintain and troubleshoot equipment such as pumps, tanks, valves and plumbing related to the LOX pad, fuel pad, and other aspects of the site facilities
- Operate and maintain hardware, high pressure systems and pumps, and other ancillary equipment including pneumatic components
- Fabricate and repair ground system hardware and equipment
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality and safety policies
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of professional hands on experience in assembly, test, maintenance, repair and/or installation, OR a certificate from an accredited trade skills program
- 1+ year(s) of professional hands on experience utilizing precision measuring instruments/devices
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- NCCER/NCCCO (National Center for Construction Education and Research) rigging certification
- Ground support equipment experience in the space exploration industry, military or other high-reliability operating environment
- Mechanical aptitude and experience (work with machines and general tooling)
- A demonstrated experience where quick-thinking and problem solving plays a critical role
- Knowledge of high vacuum systems
- Knowledge of all types of borescope inspection equipment
- Knowledge of various fittings such as national pipe thread (NPT) and AN fittings
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical schematics
- Knowledge of hazardous systems – cryogenic, flammable, hypergolic, pyrophoric
- Knowledge of high pressure system design and handling
- Experience using launch instrumentation and control components
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Ability to work the following shift: Tuesday - Saturday 6:00am - 4:30pm
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to lift heavy objects up to 35 lbs. unassisted
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Ability to work in extreme environments – heat, cold, rain, fumes, odors, and noise
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Fabrication Technician/Level 1: $20.00 - $27.00/hour
Fabrication Technician/Level 2: $25.00 - $32.50/hour
Fabrication Technician/Level 3: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.