SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The facilities engineer will be responsible for design, construction, operations and maintenance of critical SpaceX facilities and systems. They will participate, coordinate, and execute infrastructure projects as well as oversee ongoing operations and maintenance of facilities, equipment, and utilities. This will involve corrective, preventive and predictive maintenance techniques as well as operational and design feedback for maintaining and improving all systems at SpaceX's launch sites at Vandenberg.
- Coordinate all phases of site development projects including coordination with other groups on site to maximize productivity and organize schedules to fit operations
- Contractor management including request for proposal, specification and selection of supplier
- Provide technical engineering support/information to ensure construction/maintenance complies with all standards, codes, and specifications
- Commission, operate and maintain facilities with mechanical and electrical systems
- Verify maintenance is being completed and coordinate all repair, build, and contingency systems efforts for HVAC, high power, cranes, facility systems (e.g. lighting, doors, roof leaks), security systems, and fire protection systems
- Develop cost estimates, material requisitions, plans and specifications for multiple small and large multi-discipline projects
- Write, negotiate, and manage construction contracts with subcontractors across multiple disciplines through contract close-out
- Prepare and coordinate capital expenditure process; including reviews, approvals and execution of site capital projects ensuring technical specifications, budget and deadlines are met
- Communicate and deliver building/maintenance activities and schedule to personnel, subcontractors and material suppliers to effectively and efficiently execute targeted deadlines
- Ensure the reliability and maintainability of new and modified installations
- Respond to facility emergencies and own facility readiness procedures for hurricanes and environmental threats
- Work with the Space Force to acquire building permits when appropriate, and ensure all certificates and final inspections have been obtained prior to project close out
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of professional experience with facilities engineering and/or construction
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, or other design software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience in facility maintenance (electrical, HVAC, and/or structural) and facility construction (buildings, roads, drainage, foundations, etc.)
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgement and personal initiative
- Experience reading, reviewing, and approving shop and fabrication drawings, blueprints, and technical manuals
- Experience using precision measuring instruments
- Ability to produce drawings for welders and machine shop fabrication in AutoCAD
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Experience operating boom lifts, man lifts, fork lifts and cranes
- Proficient skill level using Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Vandenberg and Cape Canaveral
- Ability to travel to other SpaceX project sites to support work
- Occasionally exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments- heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends
- A valid driver’s license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Facilities Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Facilities Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.