Test Specialist (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST SPECIALIST (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX's Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads.
- Build, update, repair and validate our hardware-in-the-loop (HITL, HIL) test equipment, wiring harnesses, servers and network racks.
- Electrical, mechanical and software troubleshooting and test data review.
- Maintain fleet of test satellites, gateways, user terminals and related test equipment.
- Develop and document procedures for execution, maintenance, assembly, and anomaly handling.
- Work closely with software and hardware engineers to deliver capable and reliable test systems.
- Maintain an organized, clean and safe work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 2+ years of professional experience in a hands-on engineering technician or similar role, or a bachelor's degree in an engineering, math or technical discipline.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong hands-on skillset and comfortable with basic tools and electro-mechanical tasks.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional troubleshooting skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Strong understanding of technical documentation, engineering drawings, and schematics.
- Experience working in or administering a Linux environment.
- Developed and deployed software that has been used in real world projects (Python preferred).
- Understanding of computer networking.
- Experience with high-frequency radio components, links and wiring.
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and/or weekends as needed.
- Estimated start time: 1st shift 8:00 AM
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Specialist (Starlink)/Level 1: $32.00 - $40.00/hour
Test Specialist (Starlink)/Level 2: $36.00 - $45/00/hour
Test Specialist (Starlink)/Level 3: $40.00 - $50.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Non-exempt Washington employees are eligible for sick leave in accordance with Washington's Sick Leave policies.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.