Turbomachinery Manufacturing Engineer (Raptor)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TURBOMACHINERY MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (RAPTOR)
As the Manufacturing Engineer on the Raptor Turbomachinery team, you will have the opportunity to utilize your knowledge, experience, and creativity to develop, implement, and optimize the production process for key sub-assemblies and components for the Raptor engine.
- Develop the manufacturing and integration processes for turbomachinery components and assemblies in the Raptor engine
- Lead the development of requirements for the rotor group dynamic balance process
- Implement new manufacturing capabilities, and think creatively to resolve and challenge conflicting requirements
- Optimize existing requirements, approaches, and processes based on measurement or test data
- Develop and design tooling and processes for rapid and repeatable balance correction methods unique to part geometries
- Develop, demonstrate, and drive to completion innovative production processes to support high rate production targets
- Work with an extremely fast-paced environment and adapt to evolving design and production challenges
- Maintain a sense of ownership for all aspects of the engine turbopumps including design, fabrication, and delivery schedule
- Drive design and process changes that support program goals through demonstration of feasibility
- Work closely with design/development engineers and fabrications shops (internal and external) to get parts built and assembled
- Assist with design, analysis, and integration of Raptor sub-assemblies to resolve non-conformance issues and develop sustainable repair procedures
- Resolve recurring manufacturing discrepancies, and interface with quality team to implement corrective actions
- Interface with production technicians, engineering team, and leadership on a daily basis
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of industry experience in a design, development, fabrication, assembly, or test environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years of industry experience in turbomachinery product design, development, fabrication, assembly, or test environment
- 3+ years of experience with turbomachinery or rotating machinery, with expertise in dynamic balance processes
- Ability to work in dynamic team environment
- Expertise in design for manufacturability and design for assembly, successfully taking products through development, testing, and production
- Experience in a medium/high-volume production environment within the aerospace industry
- This is a hands-on position that may require standing for up to 4 hours a day and working directly with hardware on the floor
- Able to stoop, bend, stand, and enter a confined space
- Position may require long hours and weekend work
- Must be willing to travel, up to 5%
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Propulsion Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Propulsion Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.