Test Specialist - Antenna Lab (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST SPECIALIST - ANTENNA LAB
At SpaceX, we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 2M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact and are looking for best-in-class employees to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
As the Antenna Test Lab Specialist, you will be responsible for the setup, development, and day-to-day operations of SpaceX’s Starlink antenna development lab. You will ensure that the antenna lab is always fully capable of quickly performing measurements on the Starlink phased array and passive antennas that cover satellite, ground station, and user products. You will also support test development by performing hardware reworks, test setup maintenance, maintaining lab inventory, setup up test configurations, and performing measurements.
- Select and procure lab equipment and RF components from suppliers, and maintain stock of commonly-used parts
- Support design engineers with RF measurement requests, building up mechanical test fixtures, etc.
- Assemble, configure, and operate test benches and thermal chambers, and coordinate usage between teams
- Perform documented RF measurements using vector network analyzers and compile results
- Arrange yearly RF test equipment calibrations with onsite/offsite vendors
- Track inventory of all lab equipment, test boards, etc.
- Manage shipping/receiving logistics for the team
- Rework PCBAs per instructions and documentation
- Perform in-house scheduled maintenance and calibrations on test systems
- Enforce lab organization, cleanliness, and ESD-safe handling practices
- Adapt to constantly-changing work assignments and fast-paced environment
- Maintain and execute maintenance plans of various lab equipment
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of professional experience in a hands-on engineering technician or specialist role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience as a mmWave/RF technician or associate degree in electrical engineering
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, math, or technical discipline
- Demonstrated experience and ability to read, interpret and follow drawings and electrical schematics
- Ability to fabricate and repair cable harnesses including: soldering, crimping, and assembling connectors
- Hands on experience with RF test equipment, including vector network analyzers, signal generators, and spectrum analyzers
- Strong computer and analytical skills
- Ability to solder 0201 components under a microscope
- Experience with basic networking configurations and Linux
- Hands on problem solver
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and weekends as needed
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Repetitive assembly operations, grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Specialist/Level 1: $32.00 - $40.00/hour
Test Specialist/Level 2: $36.00 - $45.00/hour
Test Specialist/Level 3: $40.00 - $50.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Non-exempt Washington employees are eligible for sick leave in accordance with Washington's Sick Leave policies.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.