Test Specialist (Fairings) - Night Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST SPECIALIST (FAIRINGS) - NIGHT SHIFT
Our rapid growth has created opportunities for Test Specialists to join our Fairing Integration & Test group, supporting testing of components and assemblies of the Falcon Payload Fairings.
The Integration and Test group operates electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic test equipment, and Test Specialists are responsible for executing and recording results of test procedures developed by SpaceX, as well as undertaking improvement projects to modify and enhance these procedures.
- Work with design and process engineers to develop and document test procedures
- Perform tests according to procedure
- Design fixtures and adapters needed to perform tests
- Set-up and checkout test hardware and instrumentation
- Execute and run tests (static load, pressure proof, leak, functional test, thermal, etc.) per test plan, and document results
- Resolve non-conformances, and develop manufacturing planning instructions to carry out procedures, assembly, or tests
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of professional experience with payload, spacecraft, automotive, aircraft or aerospace integration or testing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree
- Airframe & Powerplant license
- Experience working with actuators, plumbing and pressure systems
- Experience setting up and operating hydraulic/pneumatic systems
- Experience working with and troubleshooting electrical components and/or systems
- Experience with structural test equipment/services
- Knowledge of strain gage installation
- Strong computer skillset, including Microsoft Office navigation and file manipulation
- Experience with testing process and optimization of test processes
- Familiarity with auto test and ground software
- Experience in ground support equipment in aerospace industry
- Experience in the space exploration industry, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environments
- Knowledge of different fittings such as NPT and A/N
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools as well as heavy equipment
- Demonstrated ability in reading/understanding technical manuals and reports
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for relaying data between other employees and customers
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Able to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Vandenberg and Cape Canaveral
- Ability to work night shift: 5:00pm - 3:30am
- Ability to travel to different sites as needed; up to 10%
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Must be able to work all shift hours, able to work overtime and weekend as needed
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs. unassisted
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Test Specialist/Level 1: $33.00 - $41.75/hour
Test Specialist/Level 2: $37.50 - $47.25/hour
Test Specialist/Level 3: $41.75 - $52.75/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.