Mechanical Engineer (Direct to Cell)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER (DIRECT TO CELL)
SpaceX is developing a breakthrough new Direct to Cell satellite network to bring ubiquitous cellular connectivity worldwide via the Starlink constellation. We are partnering with telecommunication companies around the world to bring this service directly from satellites to existing cell phones, with the goal of providing coverage anywhere a phone can see the sky. You can learn more about this recently announced effort here.
We are seeking experienced and driven mechanical engineers to join us in making this vision a reality and solve a wide range of novel engineering challenges to architect a large antenna payload. In this role, you will engage in both detailed and system level design of a wide array of projects.
Design engineers have an impact from the beginning of project development throughout the entire product life cycle of dynamic mechanical assemblies, electrical/mechanical integration, PCB mechanical/thermal/electrical packaging, harnessing and top-level satellite CAD/drawings. As an extension to detailed problem solving, Direct to Cell design engineers will also execute varying levels of analysis to support their work across the vehicle ranging from hand calculations to finite element analysis. In addition to the many responsibilities, you will be a part of a cross-disciplinary team collaborating to solve an incredible variety of problems, while developing your skills across the engineering spectrum.
- Iterate through projects by designing, prototyping, testing, and qualifying mechanical assemblies to support the development of the Direct to Cell system.
- Partner with other cross-disciplinary teams to design novel payload electrical/mechanical interfaces at scales ranging from the full satellite and antenna array, down to detailed mechanical PCB interfaces.
- Collaborate with both internal and external manufacturing partners to bring new projects and technologies into production at an economical and large scale.
- Perform mechanical analysis and 1st principles analysis support for trades related to new mechanical designs.
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of responsibilities and accountability for the outcomes of design, development, testing, and flight efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience using computer aided drafting (CAD) software (e.g. NX, CATIA, or ProE) and finite element analysis (FEA) to design and evaluate mechanical systems (internship experience is applicable)
- 1+ years of engineering experience working in complex, multi-disciplinary design and build projects (intership experience is applicable)
- 2+ years of engineering experience (internships, student projects & teams, extracurricular project experience, and professional experience qualify)
- Strong experience using CAD for both modeling and GD&T compliant manufacturing drawings
- Project and/or research-based experience conducting detailed thermal or mechanical analysis with FEA software (e.g. ANSYS, NASTRAN, ABAQUS, etc.)
- Experience in mechatronics or other cross disciplinary combination of mechanical, electrical, and software skill sets
- Prior analytical programming experience (Python, Matlab, C/C++, Excel, etc.)
- Basic understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals
- Interest in working at a nimble engineering organization that requires a scrappy, entrepreneurial approach to accomplish tasks within time & budget constraints
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills with an enthusiasm for problem-solving
Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanical Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.